romex laying directly on ceiling sheetrock

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am removing knob and tube and rewiring an old house. A sheet rock ceiling was added on the second floor (a three story structure) about an inch below the old ceiling. The sheetrock is nailed to 1 x 2 lath. Other than the problem of cutting into the run if the sheetrock is knifed or sawn into, can I safely run romex to the ceiling fixture between the lath strips and have it laying directly on the sheet rock?

Thanx
Robert Johnson

G

Re: romex laying directly on ceiling sheetrock

I would say don't leave the NM naked. Look at 300.4(D). Protect the NM (or use THHN in EMT). If the NM is less than 1.25" from the face of the furring strips, then it needs to be protected.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC

If the sheet rock is already installed and you have no other access from above the location you have no choice but to fish. In that case the 1-1/4 inch rule doesn't apply.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Robert, being that this ceiling is already in place, and you will have to "fish" the wires to the location, then yes you can as a retrofit.

See 334.30(B)(1)

Roger

G

Agreed, for fishing :)

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

awwt, if you agree, why didn't you say that in your earlier post?

Roger

pierre

I believe Wayne likes to err on the side of safety. For a DIYer forum that might be prudent, but for this site it doesn't work. The code is the minimum whether we like it or not, and fishing wire through a void is permissible for finished construction. My advice is to try to have or know the code reference before making a statement here.
This is a quote from the official National Code of No Bull$*#+ :D

Pierre

G

The OP mentions removing knob-and-tube so I assume the ceiling will be opened up. If it's opened up, then my original post holds up.

If the NM is fished, then it's moot (as correctly pointed out by the posts that follow mine). Our posts are not mutually exclusive. The posts all hold up depending on whether the NM is accessible when placed, or if it's fished.

That's why I agreed with the subsequent posts-- to give credit where credit is due. The subsequent posts nicely filled in any gaps in my answer. Kudos to all who posted :)

../Wayne C.

[ November 05, 2003, 07:21 PM: Message edited by: awwt ]

Thank you to all who offered advice. I will take Wayne's advice even though the code does not require anything more than fishing the lines. In order to protect those who may eventually work on the ceiling I will run the romex through 1/2" conduit where it will be lying directly on the sheetrock. I have already disconnected the knob and tube circuit and will leave the old wiring in place without removing the ceiling. I suspect that the ceiling will be again covered with yet another layer of material, most probably tin/metal tiles using the furring that is already in place.
As per the post two below mine (a sobering experience) I have seen too many deep electrical burns from tetanic contraction caused by grabbing a hot wire and not being able to let go - yes 110v. Flexors are much stronger and have a more favorable lever arm than do the extensors: hence the inability to release your hand when all the muscles are stimulated by the hot wire. I will therefore try to keep future workmen safe by encasing the wire in a material they can't cut through.
Thank you all again for your help. I am deeply grateful.

Robert Johnson, MD

Status
Not open for further replies.