romex installation limits

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyingjon

a inspector recently failed my final for having romex cables routed horizonaly across open 2x4 studs in a detached garage. She claims they have to run vertically along the stud above the ceiling joists and across to the next stud where a box is, or sheet rock installed on all walls where runs are horizontal. She claims they are subject to physical damage? AHJ interpretation. I don't see any mention in the code.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Re: romex installation limits

Nothing in the code that would specifically prohibit that except that it must be protected from physical damage.

That said, I wouldn't run it that way if it's not going to be covered. The AHJ does have a point. I can just see stuff getting hung on it and kids pulling on it. It is a garage after all.

charlie tuna

this is judgement call and since in her judgement the routing would render better protection to the installation - just do it! it's not worth arguing about. and she does have a point. remember, the inspector see's the problems caused by our installations. we in the field don't.

charlie

The reason for the requirement in a basement is that mommy (or daddy for that matter) will use the wire to hang clothes on when ironing or for storage. The same thing will happen in a garage with open studs. Remember the AHJ is always correct. :D

pierre

Subject to physical damage....? What is physical damage as far as the NEC?
I have seen cars driven through the garage - how do we protect against that? Sometimes commonsense has to take over.

How about attic spaces, people hang all kinds of things in attics.

Pierre

[ January 26, 2004, 11:56 PM: Message edited by: pierre ]

Status
Not open for further replies.