ROHS Compliance

Status
Not open for further replies.

fifty60

I am looking at the EU ROHS compliance standard. I have been able to figure out quite a bit on my own, but there is one fine point that I am not able to understand. if you have a piece of equipment, does the entire piece of Equipment need to be ROHS compliant, or is it only the components that are in Anex one of the ROHS2 standard?

For example, if the equipment is used for controlling temperature to monitor a product, does the entire piece of equipment including paint etc have to be Rohs compliant, or just the PID's, thermostats, solenoids that would fall under the "Monitoring and control" devices in the ROHS2, Annex 1 standard?

hilmi

New User
Occupation
ISO Consultant
RoHS is a product level compliance based on the European Union's Directive 2002/95/EC, the Restriction of the Use of certain Hazardous Substances in Electrical and Electronic Equipment (RoHS).

rohs certification

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
RoHS applies to all electrical and electronic equipment (referred to as EEE). So all electrical / electronics components, circuit boards, displays, sub-assemblies and as of last July, now also includes wire and cable.

EEE also must now comply with WEEE (Waste from Electrical and Electronic Equipment) in that all materials must be recyclable. That's what tripped a lot of mfrs up in this country (where these standards do not apply) because in the case of Molded Case Circuit Breakers, the original NEMA style "molded case" parts were/are made from FRP (Fiberglass Reinforced Plastic), which is not able to be recycled. So that's why you have seen a lot of the MCCB manufacturers release new product lines, often referred to as "Global", and start making the old NEMA products more expensive.

Your entire ASSEMBLY must also comply with REACH (Registration, Evaluation, Authorization, Restriction of Chemicals), which covers the stuff like paint on enclosures etc.

Welcome to the global economy...

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I had to learn all that stuff the hard way when a project that I was working on was going overseas and was rejected at the dock... NOT the way to go about it by the way. Luckily all of the materials we used were compliant, so it just had to sit there (generating storage fees of course) waiting for the paperwork to be gathered, submitted, reviewed and accepted. Took almost a month.

Status
Not open for further replies.