RMC Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

440Hemi

Occupation
DIY
I am going to be upgrading the size of a sub panel on a detached garage. To do so I need to pull some larger conductors. When the garage was built in 2003 they used RMC buried to at least 18". What are the chances that the RMC is still usable and has not become part of the dirt?

Last edited:
I am going to be upgrading the size of a sub panel on a detached garage. To do so I need to pull some larger conductors. When the garage was built in 2003 they used RMC buried to at least 18". What are the chances that the RMC is still usable and has not become part of the dirt?

Seems to depend a lot on the location/soil characteristics. Here in upstate NY I find 50-60 year or older RMC underground that is totally fine. Sometimes I hear very different results.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
My biggest concern would be the conduit's longevity as an EGC, so I'd pull in a wire EGC, which I always do for underground runs.

I would start by disconnecting both ends of the wires and pulling on the shorter ends. If they move, tie on the new wires and pull.

440Hemi

Occupation
DIY
My biggest concern would be the conduit's longevity as an EGC, so I'd pull in a wire EGC, which I always do for underground runs.

I would start by disconnecting both ends of the wires and pulling on the shorter ends. If they move, tie on the new wires and pull.
Thanks. I planning on pulling a new ground. I’ll give this a go.

Status
Not open for further replies.