RMC across driveway

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Not to nit pick, but I'm wondering if you mean "communication circuits?"

I honestly haven't read all of 800 yet 😔 Mostly because it's an atypical installation for me. So I wouldn't know if there's anything in there regarding burial depth requirements... but there are definitely SOME "low voltage" burial depth requirements in 300.5. I believe column 5? But that's only irrigation and landscape lighting.
Yes Communication Circuits but Low Voltage is the most commonly used term.
In Chapter 8, you ignore the rest of the NEC unless there is a reference to a section. Chapter 8 are the "unthumbed pages" of the NEC

Jerramundi

Occupation
Licensed Residential Electrician
Yes Communication Circuits but Low Voltage is the most commonly used term.
In Chapter 8, you ignore the rest of the NEC unless there is a reference to a section. Chapter 8 are the "unthumbed pages" of the NEC
So, would that conscious ignorance of the rest of the NEC, apply to, say, vertical clearance requirements as mentioned in 225?
In the case of the OP, for example, if he chose to run his circuits aerially? Even though this isn't the preferred methodology.

I see some vertical clearance requirements in Chapter 8, like over the roof clearance, but it's very limited.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
It is thought by many that communication circuits in this section refers only to common cartier circuits and not private data or voice circuits within a building or campus.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

mikeames

Occupation
Teacher - Master Electrician - 2017 NEC
So, would that conscious ignorance of the rest of the NEC, apply to, say, vertical clearance requirements as mentioned in 225?
In the case of the OP, for example, if he chose to run his circuits aerially? Even though this isn't the preferred methodology.
Art 225 is Branch circuits and feeders. So that doe snot apply here.
Art 840 refers back to 800.44 which refers to 225.14(D)4 which omits this because we have only communications and no power.
One ariel Cat6 cable can be found here. can be found here.

IMO opinion using a DB cable and cutting a slit in the ground is the easiest. Building something to span the conductus seems to be too much. This does not seem to be a difficult problem.

mikeames

Occupation
Teacher - Master Electrician - 2017 NEC
It is thought by many that communication circuits in this section refers only to common cartier circuits and not private data or voice circuits within a building or campus.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
800.3(F) defines 840 as being about Premises Broadband Communications Systems so some of it is but not all.

Jerramundi

Occupation
Licensed Residential Electrician
800.3(F) defines 840 as being about Premises Broadband Communications Systems so some of it is but not all.
I briefly looked through the 800's (but not thoroughly because it's not my forte) and couldn't find anything about vertical clearance requirements minus a very short sentence about over the roof clearance.

Status
Not open for further replies.