"Ring"and Video Suggestons

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
I installed a Ring Video Pro Doorbell. Works great, easy to install and have one on my sons house, when I visit I park in front so the doorbell sees my car...the ring basic protect plan is $30 for one device, that allows storage of video for 60 days in the cloud.
What is the general experience with Ring?

I am looking for few more cameras, should I go with other Ring cameras?
Or other recommendations for a camera system (IP) and DVR? I have 6TB of storage on my server but Video will fill that up fast

MAC702

I have a Ring Pro doorbell. I'm not happy that I have to pay for storage. Why can't it be stored on MY computer instead of theirs? I let the storage plan expire, and when I get around to it, I will replace it with something that I don't have to pay someone else to store its video for me. So until then, I only use it for live viewing.

Brilliant marketing. :rant:

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
I have the Nest doorbell. Same as the Ring, you have to subscribe in order to store/view old video.

Or other recommendations for a camera system (IP) and DVR? I have 6TB of storage on my server but Video will fill that up fast

Not that fast. I assume it's only going to record when they're motion, so there's a lot of time not recording (we hope); maybe a couple hours a day of actual recording?

Uncompressed raw HD format at 30fps (and 8-bit samples) is ~670GB/hour. That one hour is more like ~88GB in mpeg2 compression, but with decent MP4 compression that should be down under 50GB.

It's gonna take a while to fill up that 6TB, well, at least 120 hours of recording. At 3 hours a day, that's 40 days of records.

Want to save more space? You don't need 30fps that for surveillance, 15 will do (or even less), that will halve the space needed. Or drop from HD to SD (or tune the compression parameters :D).

BTW, I'm using iSpyConnect for recording a USB camera and it's been fine for what I need. And it's free :D.

Oh, and I didn't mention.... bigger problem can be disk bandwidth. A single 3.5" 7200rpm spinning drive can only write ~180MB/s at the best of times (sequential writing, no other activity). When you add random access, which happens to most systems, you're down to ~130 IOPS (input/output operations per second) because most of the time is moving the heads and spinning the disk. In that condition, you're down to moving <9MB/s (combined read/write, 64k blocks).

In essence, a single spinning drive can't keep up with continuous recording of HD video unless it's extremely compressed (and that's not likely for a single-pass encoder like a security system).

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Netatmo recently announced a video doorbell that offers subscription-free storage. It has an SD card slot, or you can upload video to your own FTP server or Dropbox.

Not sure when it’s coming out. Also, I’m not sure if they were acquired by Legrand or just partnering with them, but you should be able to order it through your Legrand distributor.

It’s also HomeKit compatible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.