Not open for further replies.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
1.) NEC Section/Paragraph: 400.1
2.) Proposal Recommends: [new text]
3.) Proposal: Add the following statement to Section 400.1:

This article shall not apply to listed extension cords that comprise a complete unit, with cap and plug.

4.) Substantiation: It is commonly perceived by users of this Code that it is illegal to run a factory assembled extension cord through a doorway for temporary use, per 400.8.

This plays a role in the application of several other articles, such as 210.63, where receptacles are required within 25' for servicing of equipment. Given the infrequent nature of such tasks, it is reasonable for a receptacle inside a structure to serve this purpose.

I am submitting a coordinating proposal for section 210.63 to address the fact that GFCI protection shall be required for indoor receptacles that are intended to also serve this purpose.

It would clarify that the NEC's requirements end at the fixed premises wiring, regardless of what temporary conditions may arise in the use of that system.

In addition, current standard practices in many parts of the country involve erecting a temporary service on site, demanding the use of extension cords for the contruction of a new structure. Under the current text of the code, it would be illegal for workers to plug into a temp outside and run a cord into the structure to work.

[ August 21, 2005, 10:42 AM: Message edited by: georgestolz ]

iwire

Staff member
Re: Revise 400.1 Flexible Cords Scope

Originally posted by georgestolz:
In addition, current standard practices in many parts of the country involve erecting a temporary service on site, demanding the use of extension cords for the contruction of a new structure. Under the current text of the code, it would be illegal for workers to plug into a temp outside and run a cord into the structure to work.
George article 400 is mostly concerned with permanent installations of cord.

One place it is concerned with temporary is 400.7(11) which tells us to follow the rules in 527.

Read 527 and in particular 527.4(H).

As much as I would like to agree that the NEC stops at the outlet many NEC sections do indeed go beyond.

GFCIs required in vending machines.

Holiday lighting must be listed.

Water heaters must have high limit cut outs.

To name a few.

bphgravity

To be honest, I have never really heard of persons being concerned with this practice on a temporary basis. There are many occasions during rough and final inspections where other trades are running cords through windows and doors from outsde t. poles or from t. power in the garage. It never occured to me that a code violation could be taking place or even perceived as being a violation.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Originally posted by iwire:
Read 527 and in particular 527.4(H).
Well, that shoots my idea in the head! :)

Good deal!
icon14.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.