Reversing the line and neutral wires for house

Status
Not open for further replies.

skyline77

Hi,
I know it's wrong and the lights switch won't isolate the line and even if the fuse blows it would still be energized..
But other than this, for a 120 volts supply (line to neutral) I think
1) the sink motor, washing machine, electric juicer, grinder would they reverse rotation?

2) How about a small capacitor start motor or capacitor start exhaust will they operate, reverse rotation direction?

3) What about a small heater will it be still in operation?

Am I right?

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
1. No. Many receptacles in old houses are wired wrong.Ever been on a call where the washing machine is shocking people? The case becomes energized. It’s the reason for polarized plugs.
2.yes,no. That has to be done internally on the start windings.
3. yes

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Hi,
I know it's wrong and the lights switch won't isolate the line and even if the fuse blows it would still be energized..
But other than this, for a 120 volts supply (line to neutral) I think
1) the sink motor, washing machine, electric juicer, grinder would they reverse rotation?

2) How about a small capacitor start motor or capacitor start exhaust will they operate, reverse rotation direction?

3) What about a small heater will it be still in operation?

Am I right?
1. No. Many receptacles in old houses are wired wrong.Ever been on a call where the washing machine is shocking people? The case becomes energized. It’s the reason for polarized plugs.
2.yes,no. That has to be done internally on the start windings.
3. yes
#3. The heater will suck all the heat out of the room if wired backwards!

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
If the power to the building were DC instead of AC and the motors were permanent magnet type instead of wound field, then the rotation would reverse.
But that is not the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.