Reversible Fan needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

spark master

We need to install 2 commercial grade fans on a 15 foot ceiling. 5,000 sq-ft warehouse.
Needs to be reversible for summer / winter.

Any suggestions ???

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
Why reversible in a warehouse?
The reverse is for people, not product, tell the forklift driver to put a sweater on.

spark master

The key to productivity is to keep people happy, and comfortable. Not make them miserable. But this isn't an HR forum. It's an electrical forum.
I simply asked about a reversible fan.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
The key to productivity is to keep people happy, and comfortable. Not make them miserable. But this isn't an HR forum. It's an electrical forum.
I simply asked about a reversible fan.
All the ones I have seen in factories and warehouses were reversible where I noticed one way or the other. I guess I always assumed that was the common thing.

kwired

Electron manager
Could be that is what the customer asked for.
I find they often don't really know what they actually need.

With ceiling fans often the blades are more efficient one way vs the other. Even after taking that in consideration, they still stir the air no matter which way they are running. One way forces air down from the fan, it hits the floor flows toward the walls then toward the ceiling and back toward the fan. Reverse the fan and it does just the opposite.

Don't want to feel so much of a draft in the winter but still want the air stirred, just slow the fan down and it probably still does what you wanted to accomplish.

mikeames

Occupation
Teacher - Master Electrician - 2017 NEC
Big Ass Fans recommends what Kwired stated above.

"Big Ass Fans does not recommend reversing your fan–just run it at a slow forward speed during the winter to keep your space evenly comfortable from floor to ceiling. Click here to learn more about running your fan during the winter. Click here to learn more about heat destratification. "

spark master

Funny thing is, Grainger sells BA fans, & the specs say they are reversible.. BA fans are for decorative spaces, where people admire a fancy piece of equipment. We never installed one. My gym has one... nice to look at, but $6,000.....

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Funny thing is, Grainger sells BA fans, & the specs say they are reversible.. BA fans are for decorative spaces, where people admire a fancy piece of equipment. We never installed one. My gym has one... nice to look at, but $6,000.....
Haven’t done one lately, but seems like their controller does have a reverse button on it, but that being said, I would not think the air foils on the ends would work well backwards.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Haven’t done one lately, but seems like their controller does have a reverse button on it, but that being said, I would not think the air foils on the ends would work well backwards.
Just done one this week, 20’ at our corporate hanger. They are putting the freq drive up in the fan now, with a cat V cable to a wall control. No reverse on this one. Boss liked it so well, I’m putting in one in the tall side of the hanger.

Status
Not open for further replies.