Retro LED In old HID fixture does it look good

Status
Not open for further replies.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
Customer wants me to Just replace Current MH fixture with new parts. Until I get up there and work on them I don't know quite what's wrong with them. Was thinking of just installing https://rexel-cdn.com/Products/PhilipsLighting/559872.pdf?i=6AAC4046-3E6F-4A6D-AA4A-879A556283B7 Then bypass the ballast. I know some of you, feel T-8 install of new LED bulbs on old fixture say reflectors are not meant for LED fixture and just install new fixture. Does that apply to HID fixture also? I don't want him to be unhappy and he does not want to pay for installing a NEW LED Fixture.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I think the customer will be happier with the light output of new fixtures, the LED’s are focused better. I swapped out six lamp t8 high bays for new dimmable LED high bays. They look really good for about the same cost per fixture as the lamps. By the time you bust open the case, and bypass the ballast, you could have just changed out the whole fixture for the same price.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
Ill try and talk him into LED fixture another contractor gave him a price and he said it was to high, reason he wanted to just install MH back in. Though if I have to get a new ballast that the cost of 2 LED bulbs almost. So trying to at least give him some improvement.
Thanks for the input

hillbilly1

Occupation
Ill try and talk him into LED fixture another contractor gave him a price and he said it was to high, reason he wanted to just install MH back in. Though if I have to get a new ballast that the cost of 2 LED bulbs almost. So trying to at least give him some improvement.
Thanks for the input
And you still have to bust the case apart to replace the ballast. The long term energy savings should be calculated into that too.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
I like these LED fixture but Just like these Waffer LED in houses now. Once the unit goes out, you through it away. with a bulb you can just add another. Function vs longevity

Comparison of old HID bulb vs these conversion bulbs ,will they function about that same? I understand a new fixture is designed to spread the light for LED and would be better

hillbilly1

Occupation
Heat tends to be the biggest factor in longevity. LED’s don’t like heat, so if the fixture doesn’t have sufficient heat removal, they burn out quick, especially in a hot warehouse. Take care the new fixtures have large cooling fins. The super cheap ones don’t, and will fail quickly.

Attachments

• C4B283EA-C76D-48E8-B8EC-48EAD394DD8D.jpeg
    C4B283EA-C76D-48E8-B8EC-48EAD394DD8D.jpeg
    82.2 KB · Views: 9

ppsh

Occupation
Electrician
Lithonia high bays are dirt cheap. A 134w 18,000 lumen I beam rectangular high bay is only about $125. I can't find a quality high bay retrofit bulb for that price. A ufo style Lithonia JEBL may mount faster to make up for the increased price, $160 or so.

JRichards

Occupation
Electrician / Zone Mechanic
I agree with most of the other comments here, my experience has been when you retrofit old HID fixtures with LED‘s they tend to fail due to heat, they never give off as even a light pattern as an engineered LED fixture and now the fixtures have come down so much in price it’s actually cheaper to replace your old HIDs with either a linear LED or a UFO; They will pay for themselves in 3-4 years and now you have more options of additional savings with fixture mounted occupancy sensors.

Status
Not open for further replies.