Retractable Cord Reels

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtinge

Occupation
Sr. Elec. Engr
Interested in your thoughts on my assessment of the following methods of wiring the input of a retractable cord reel to power a floor mounted jib crane:

1. Reel input cord and plug connected to a receptacle outlet. (Acceptable, consider the same a retractable extension cord)

2. Reel input hardwired to a disconnect switch using NEC Chapter 3 Wiring Methods. (Acceptable, consider the same as a retractable pendent)

3. Reel input hardwired to a disconnect switch or junction box using flexible cord. (Not acceptable, violates Article 400.12(1))

Follow on question: Article 410.10(5) permits flexible cord to be used for wiring of cranes and hoists. Would this permit the input of the retractable cord reel powering the jib crane to be wired with flexible cord rather than Chapter 3 wiring methods, contrary to my thought in 3 above?

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Why retractable instead of festooned cable like everyone else does? A cord reel is another point of wear and failure. But other than that, I don’t see a problem. I would want a lockable disconnect, so #2.

jtinge

Occupation
Sr. Elec. Engr
It's not my design, I'm just trying to keep the installation code compliant. Thank you for the feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.