residential steam shower

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't found code book rules about steam showers.

1. I have found some information on the internet that all steam showers require a disconnect. An a/c disconnect would be pretty ugly in the bathroom. Would it be possible to install the disconnect in a master closet that is located within the master bathroom area?

2. The internet sources seem to agree that the steam shower remote control should be located within the shower area.

I am waiting on the plumber to provide a model number so I can look up the specific installation instructions for this steam shower. I am just curious if there are code book rules that state all steam showers are required to have a disconnect within the same room for example.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Sounds like an article 422 application, similar to a water heater. A disconnect must be within sight or capable of being locked in the open position.
Suggest you refer to instructions for remote installations, 110.3 B

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
All the steam generators I have done come with a cord and a 6-50 cord cap, so I just set a 6-50 receptacle in a near by closet.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
All the steam generators I have done come with a cord and a 6-50 cord cap, so I just set a 6-50 receptacle in a near by closet.

I haven't done one in years but all the ones we did were direct wired. We did one that took a 125 amp circuit. I had to up the service on that one.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
We have connected many over the years and like Dennis all have been hardwired.

I have the feeling the OP has never connected one before. The generator doesn't get installed in the bathroom unless there is large cabinet or closet. They get installed in an adjacent closet, attic or basement/large crawlspace.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
These are the ones we install when you get over 10kW they are hardwired, I imagine you could hardwire the smaller ones if desired, but I thought the cord & plug was to facilitate a service person to descale them or something:
1638286459518.png

Quite some time ago we have also installed similar package units made by Kolher called a habitat:

Status
Not open for further replies.