Residential Stand By Generator Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

newservice

Have customer asking me if they can have a backup / emergency generator installed...in the basement! Say they have one at their present home, outside. Every one I've done has been outside, but, this is a swanky 'historic district' and they are worried about the asthetics of having one outside, or even if they would be so allowed. I think they could hide it with some shrubbery but they would like to know if they can have it iin the basement. Nat gas. I said I didn't know but would find out. Am sure it may be addressed somewhere on the forum but I cant find anythingl (Yes, this is the 5000 sf mansion ppl from that thread a couple weeks ago that turned into the lead removal forum lol.) Thanks and await your replies.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Have customer asking me if they can have a backup / emergency generator installed...in the basement! Say they have one at their present home, outside. Every one I've done has been outside, but, this is a swanky 'historic district' and they are worried about the asthetics of having one outside, or even if they would be so allowed. I think they could hide it with some shrubbery but they would like to know if they can have it iin the basement. Nat gas. I said I didn't know but would find out. Am sure it may be addressed somewhere on the forum but I cant find anythingl (Yes, this is the 5000 sf mansion ppl from that thread a couple weeks ago that turned into the lead removal forum lol.) Thanks and await your replies.

You can do this. It used to be very common practice up until the 1980's. It is a lot more expensive and complex to do though. All the residential grade machines you see will not be suitable for this-you will need to look at a Kohler or Cummins/Onan commercial machine. You also will probably need a well versed mechanical contractor as well. I would advise to have this engineered unless you are well versed in this.

Rewire

briggs and stratton make some small NG units but they dont reccomend they be installed in a totally enclosed area. Ventalation is the primary issue. I installed a unit in a basement that had a small room with louvered vents to the outside that opened when the unit operated. The exaust was also vented to the outside.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I had such a request years ago, the guy was an engineer from Germany. He did not want the city to know he had one. He also had a bootleg ham radio repeater he didn't want them to know about either, anyway it cost a lot more than he wanted to pay.

kwired

Electron manager
briggs and stratton make some small NG units but they dont reccomend they be installed in a totally enclosed area. Ventalation is the primary issue. I installed a unit in a basement that had a small room with louvered vents to the outside that opened when the unit operated. The exaust was also vented to the outside.

Ventilation is a big issue, I have seen many older installations that do have the unit indoors, usually for non residential applications. They all had automatic louvers that opened when the unit was running, the room gets hot pretty quick if you don't have ventilation.

stickboy1375

I personally, could not do this install, too much liability if you ask me, A man just died last power outage with his dog in his lap due to the exhaust pipe failing.

kwired

Electron manager
I personally, could not do this install, too much liability if you ask me, A man just died last power outage with his dog in his lap due to the exhaust pipe failing.

Any other combustion appliance can do same thing, that is why CO detectors are recommended and even required in many places.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I have no doubt this can be done. After all we put men on the moon and control space probes on Mars. As has already been mentioned, some issues to be considered are 1) removal of exhaust, 2) noise reduction, 3) heat dissipation, 4) design, 5) availability and adaptation of parts to accomplish what you want to do. Make sure you get this engineered by a mechanical engineer and approved by the municipality you're working in. Don't try to do this on your own - the liability is greater that what the job is worth.

BTW, you've gone from a job that would normally cost $$$ to one that will probably cost $$$$$$

Status
Not open for further replies.