Residential Service feeders for a second structure

Status
Not open for further replies.

joecalvin

Occupation
Purchasing / Estimator
So, normally if you have a detached garage you run the a sub-feed through the existing house to a stubout on the otherside where the garage would be located and run power to it from the stubout. But, if there is a what can be condsiered living space in the second structure (ie...apartment or office above the garage, or if the second structure is an apartment) that the service feed cannot run through the main structure/house. is this correct? Or can we run the sub-feed as originally outlined above (through the house to a stubout and power the second building from there the stubout)? I had this on a continuing education class and I wanted to make sure I didn't misunderstand the rule.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Not sure if this will answer your question:::
230.3 One Building or Other Structure Not to Be Supplied Through Another. Service conductors supplying a building or other structure shall not pass through the interior of another building or other structure.
I can't visualize where you would have service conductors running thru one building to another, but a feeder could be run from Structure 1 to Structure 2 regardless of the type occupancy (garage or apartment, etc.(.
You would need to address accessibility of the service disconnect means.

garbo

So, normally if you have a detached garage you run the a sub-feed through the existing house to a stubout on the otherside where the garage would be located and run power to it from the stubout. But, if there is a what can be condsiered living space in the second structure (ie...apartment or office above the garage, or if the second structure is an apartment) that the service feed cannot run through the main structure/house. is this correct? Or can we run the sub-feed as originally outlined above (through the house to a stubout and power the second building from there the stubout)? I had this on a continuing education class and I wanted to make sure I didn't misunderstand the rule.
In my area as long as every building is going to be on the same ultility meter you would just install 4 wires to a sub panel. I would always call my inspection agency or AHJU for any questions. They would rather answer your question and have a job done correctly.

joecalvin

Occupation
Purchasing / Estimator
Not sure if this will answer your question:::
230.3 One Building or Other Structure Not to Be Supplied Through Another. Service conductors supplying a building or other structure shall not pass through the interior of another building or other structure.
I can't visualize where you would have service conductors running thru one building to another, but a feeder could be run from Structure 1 to Structure 2 regardless of the type occupancy (garage or apartment, etc.(.
You would need to address accessibility of the service disconnect means.
Thank you for the repsonse. It was not so much about running service conductors through the house (that would be a little difficult) but about the power feed itself going through the main house. As in running the sub-feed through the house to power the second structure. The class I took said that a second structure had to be fed independently of the first structure. The explanation for this was that if the first structure caught fire and burned down the second structure would not lose power becasue of it. But if you run a sub-feed through the main house to power the second structure then that would cause power loss in the second structure in that scenario. Does that make sense?

D

Dell3c

Joe, Good afternoon to you Sir. Just wondering into your statement above . Does that apply to just Travis County, or @ State-wide level throughout Texas (?)

D

Dell3c

Ok.. I travel (did before covid hit anyway) and Tejas was regular destinations, so couldn't help but taking interest into this thread.
Joe after re-reading your post(s) more than once, now having copy of your Local Amendments, City of Austin.

FPN. regarding to the above, yes, a feeder, is still a feeder.

You have amendments to 2020 NEFA 70, listed as:
Article 110.12 Mechanical Execution of Work (pretty detailed)

Article 230.70(A) Service Disconnecting Means Location (possibly where confusion arose in (A)(2)(B)..)

Article 250.68(A)(1) Concrete encased electrode accessibility.

Article 310.110 (C)(1) Conductor Identification.

Article 680.13(1) Emergency switch for swimming pools: W/ Exception: one- and two-family dwellings.

Article 684.41 Emergency shut-off for spas and hot tubs.

Noticing that in you denoted first thread, mentioning attending "CEU" class, assuming possibly state level, in past taking mine online.

Status
Not open for further replies.