Residential Pricing Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickelec

Does the 35k include the heat pump or just the power to the units.

The 13k included #6 tray cable to 2 indoor air handlers and 2 outdoor compressors but not providing the heat pumps units.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just to outdoor units

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Usually the GC's for large custom homes are more skilled than your average tract home builder and they may pay a bit more to get higher quality subs, but not significantly more in my experience. Large custom homes may have expensive finishes but internally they are usually standard construction which doesn't require electricians who are much more skilled. Just ones that care a bit more about quality work. (And I've seen some really lousy electrical work in multi-million dollar homes.)

While I have been paid very well to do renovation work on such homes, I've never been offered a decent rate on building a new one.

Jerrodlk

Occupation
h
We didn’t offer any can lights or fixtures but there was wiring to a total of 34 can lights. Lots of extra stuff outside of minimum code
Thanks for the replays

Jerrodlk

Occupation
h
Give a count on those recessed can and under cabinet lights . You may want to get out of the deal for $13,200.00.

We did the rough in only. The home owner thought he was getting the service, trench and all for $9k. He is getting someone else to do the service, trench and trim out.
I hate it really but I learn a lot about residential construction and came out ok.
Thanks guys

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I realize everyone is different but my belief is as Sq.ft price isn’t the best way to go most of the time. I priced a sq ft price ONE time...
The owner wanted a LOT of outlets rather than what’s specified by code. I did tell them up front about lighting changes, but the argument regarding the Christmas circuits and additional outlets wasn’t worth it...
As far as lighting, I told them here’s the place, you pay for what you want up there. I’ll get a way to wire it..

I’ve quit all large jobs now. But I was charging per “outlet” I didn’t care how many you wanted...

growler

The home owner thought he was getting the service, trench and all for $9k. He is getting someone else to do the service, trench and trim out.

There is no reason for a homeowner or GC to think they are getting anything. Before you start a project like this you need a contract that states what the other party is getting and how much they are to pay for it.

Your contract should also deal with change orders, when payments are to be made and any warranty given.

It's way to easy to come up on the short end of things if you don't have a written and signed contract.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Pretty helpful stuff. I am in west Tennessee. This was not a bare min job; 2,700 SqFt, 2 heat pumps, under cabinet lights, lots of cans, elaborated bathroom electrical, weekly home owner changes including moving a box 1/2”, etc, etc.

I asked for $13,200 total including 150’ service, excluding fixtures.

Anybody think I’m way too high?
Anybody want this job for $9k?

I think your way too low in my opinion. You will make a little, but it’s just a salary with some extra Saturday night date money...
I bet your customer charges enough or makes enough for a retirement plan.. do you?

Jerrodlk

Occupation
h
We had a contract that only included the rough in and trim out.
When I told him the service and trench were extra he decided to shop my number. I don’t think he ever got another written quote before he let us do the rough in.

I ask all this to make sure I am not over charging him as he thinks I am.

Thanks again for the feedback.

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
Keep track of every penny, every minute, you burned on this job, including bidding, calls,walk through, truck, tooling, insurance, healthcare, when your done get back and let us know if you paid yourself at least minimum wage.

Knuckle Dragger

Master Electrician Electrical Contractor 01752
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
We did the rough in only. The home owner thought he was getting the service, trench and all for $9k. He is getting someone else to do the service, trench and trim out.
I hate it really but I learn a lot about residential construction and came out ok.
Thanks guys

If you're originally bid is still working for you (minus the electrical service).
Maybe you can work out a price for the trench, great?
I would probably move on from this job once you're payed in full.
You are wise to check your pricing.
Learn from this experience and move on to the next job.
Good luck.

growler

Who holds the electrical permit for this job ? Is it the homeowner ? It's normally not all that easy to find someone to take over a job after the rough-in was done by someone else. If you do take over a job like this you are not inclined to give a good price.

junkhound

Occupation
EE, power electronics specialty
Keep track of every penny, every minute, you burned on this job, including bidding, calls,walk through, truck, tooling, insurance, healthcare, when your done get back and let us know if you paid yourself at least minimum wage.

I have always wanted to do that at least once, never could find the time! :rolleyes:

Have done it on a couple of HVAC installs, using typical install rates for this area, about $60/hour. But then, my vac pumps and cylinders etc were all bought at garage sales :sneaky:.

Kept track of all time and materials on a couple of insulation jobs adding attic insulation done as volunteer for our church. Was able to show that being able to buy insulation at wholesale (flatbed trailer full at a time, about $1000 worth of batts, $2000 at big box) and hiring the install (if insul contractor charged at $45/hr) would be lower cost than a DIY buying insulation from big box.

Big box stores don't seem to markup electrical as far as they do insulation though.

Status
Not open for further replies.