Residential Pricing Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerrodlk

Occupation
h
How much do I need to charge a home owner for wiring a new 2700sqft house?
Do you provide separate pricing for rough-in price, trim out, and underground service to the house?
Receptacles included, no fixtures, 150’ trench for 200amp service and ground rods.
In a subdivision direct to the home owner.
I got the job but now the guy says I’m way too high.
Per SqFt price plus service would be helpful.
Thanks

growler

How much do I need to charge a home owner for wiring a new 2700sqft house?

You need ton charge enough to make money on the job unless you like working for free.

First you figure out your expenses. Every dime that you will spend doing the job to include fuel, overhead, materials & Mark-up, permits, everything.

Then you should have a pretty good idea of how long it will take to do the work ( be honest and don't short change yourself). How much do you need to make pr hour to do this job?

Just because a homeowner tells you that you are way to high, don't believe them. If someone wants to do the job for a lot less money then let them do it.

If you really have the job then you will have a signed contract and the HOs opinion is a little late.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Some may charge an up front fee to handle temporary power and depending on how it is done, that may include the permanent service or the service could be a separate charge.
We charge after rough-in and final inspections.
Make sure you have provisions for changes after rough in and after sheetrock is on the wall.
I would not do a price per sq ft. That may work for experienced contractors for multiple units of the same design, but not a single home at this stage of your experience.

Back when I was young, OSHA was non existent, and homes were simple, I allocated 40 minutes start to finish per opening. Ceilings fans more.
I don't run on jobs anymore, nor do I expect my help to.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I got the job but now the guy says I’m way too high.
Per SqFt price plus service would be helpful.
Thanks
If you got the job I would assume you were low bidder meaning you can't be to high. I would advise you to have a well written contract if he is questioning you at this stage.

Roger

Jerrodlk

Occupation
h
So I charged them $3.46 per SqFt for the rough in and trim out including 2 heat pumps. Then I charged them a flat rate for the the service which includes 150’ trench and driven ground rods. Gotta use a mini-ex to cross a ditch to get to the house.

They thought the SqFt price included the trench and service. That’s the whole argument.

Anyway I know this stuff is regional but should my Per SqFt price have included the trench?

What is a normal price to wire a house in the Southeast ?

Any feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

480sparky

We can't tell you what price to charge..... we can only tell you how to calculate your price. The basic formula is M+L+O+P=$. Material, Labor, Overhead and Profit. Add 'em up, that's your price.

What numbers do you add up? We have no idea what you pay for any of those, nor what you want your profit to be.

jimport

Occupation
Master Electrician
Square foot pricing does not provide an accurate cost. Is this a minimal install or loaded with special fixtures, controls, undercabinet lighting? None of that changes the square footage.

Jerrodlk

Occupation
h
Pretty helpful stuff. I am in west Tennessee. This was not a bare min job; 2,700 SqFt, 2 heat pumps, under cabinet lights, lots of cans, elaborated bathroom electrical, weekly home owner changes including moving a box 1/2”, etc, etc.

I asked for $13,200 total including 150’ service, excluding fixtures.

Anybody think I’m way too high?
Anybody want this job for $9k?

Jerrodlk

Occupation
h
35k in my neck of the woods

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Does the 35k include the heat pump or just the power to the units.

The 13k included #6 tray cable to 2 indoor air handlers and 2 outdoor compressors but not providing the heat pumps units.

growler

So I charged them $3.46 per SqFt for the rough in and trim out including 2 heat pumps. Then I charged them a flat rate for the the service which includes 150’ trench and driven ground rods. Gotta use a mini-ex to cross a ditch to get to the house.

They thought the SqFt price included the trench and service. That’s the whole argument.

Anyway I know this stuff is regional but should my Per SqFt price have included the trench?

There may be electricians in your area that give out sq ft prices like $3.46 pr sq ft. If they do that's for tract houses to code minimum and doesn't not include the service let alone any trenching.

With a sq ft price like that everything is an extra. can lights, under cabinet lights, ceiling fans, any flood lights
and any changes made cost extra.

You say they have lots of can lights. There are often several thousand dollars just in can lights on a house of this size.

growler

Pretty helpful stuff. I am in west Tennessee. This was not a bare min job; 2,700 SqFt, 2 heat pumps, under cabinet lights, lots of cans, elaborated bathroom electrical, weekly home owner changes including moving a box 1/2”, etc, etc.

I asked for $13,200 total including 150’ service, excluding fixtures.

Anybody think I’m way too high?
Anybody want this job for $9k?

Give a count on those recessed can and under cabinet lights . You may want to get out of the deal for $13,200.00.

480sparky

Keep in mind that new home construction is the lowest paying type of electrical work. I personally never bid it.

Typically caused by wanna-be Sparkys who think they've got the world by the tail when they really have no clue what they're doing and end up wiring houses for a huge loss because they don't know how to properly bid.

When they realize their mistake and raise their prices accordingly, the GCs just hire the next noob on Craigslist.

growler

Keep in mind that new home construction is the lowest paying type of electrical work. I personally never bid it.

Keep in mind this is one house bid for a home owner. These homes are custom and don't bid for the same price as spec homes for a builder where they are bid in larger numbers. Custom homes often pay quite well.

Status
Not open for further replies.