Residential dead panel alterations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Homemedic

During a recent inspection, I encountered a residential dead panel that had additional fasteners added to the inside of the live portion of the breaker panel. I know that alterations above and beyond the manufactured engineered specifications should not be made. Is there a specific NEC ruling on this. Beyond the obvious, I'd like to be specific when my client asks why this shouldn't be done.

Attachments

• _1.jpg
    _1.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 0

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
. . . I know that alterations above and beyond the manufactured engineered specifications should not be made. Is there a specific NEC ruling on this. Beyond the obvious, I'd like to be specific when my client asks why this shouldn't be done.
Did you photo the other side of the deadfront? If a picture is worth a thousand words, I'd say we're missing another thousand or so words that complete the Story.

kwired

Electron manager
To me, they seem extremely symmetrical, as if original.
I agree, hardware that is present may not be original, but something may have been there and this is just plugging holes now.

It amazes me how many think it is taboo to modify a loadcenter cabinet in any way. If that is what one feels then we may as well throw away KO punches and drilling bits. And how are you supposed to enter some cabinets that you order with no pre formed KO's at all?

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
That just looks like the dead front retaining screws to me, though different from what I've usually seen. I actually like screws coming through to place cover on them. Then you put nut on and don't have to maneuver a screw into the panel and try to hit right angle.

Status
Not open for further replies.