Residential Computer/server tripping arc fault bkr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone, i searched this topic before posting and didn't see any answers.
Over the years i've gotten many calls about arc faults tripping in homes from desktop computers. I haven't found a solution. Every time i get a troubleshooting call, i ask them to plug the computer into a non afci outlet and it fixes the problem. I've tried tightening connections, replacing the arc fault breakers, replacing power chords on servers, and nothing fixes the arc fault trip on these electronics. Has anyone here found a solution to this?

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Do they trip on a GFCI?
If there an AFCI fault code, what are the diagnostic codes?
Is it one brand of AFCI or many?
Are there SPDs used with the computer?

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
As Tom said, spd’s could be the issue. Cheap Chinese versions have been known to leak current, or it may have failed and is leaking current.

That would be true only if the AFCI had GFCI functionality also (dual function) and many do. My advice is don't use any kind of surge protection device or strip with GFCI breakers or receptacles. Gonna trip every time.

-Hal

Ragin Cajun

That would be true only if the AFCI had GFCI functionality also (dual function) and many do. My advice is don't use any kind of surge protection device or strip with GFCI breakers or receptacles. Gonna trip every time.

-Hal
So I loose the surge protection to satisfy a code rule to make the manuf's profitable???

Grrrrrr.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

-Hal
Some of the combination type AFCIs on the market, still have GFP with a 20 to 30mA trip. These are not dual-function as to be dual-function, they have to have a 5mA GFCI trip.

All of the original branch circuit/feeder type had that function, but GE and one of the Eaton ones no longer have the GFP in their combination (series/parallel) AFCIs.

Status
Not open for further replies.