residential boat house groung rod

Status
Not open for further replies.

puzzler

Can anyone with experience wiring residential boat houses tell me the correct way to groung them please.
1- Does a ground rod need to be driven in at the shore line and a GEC connected between the rod and the boat house panel(the boat house panel is 30 feet from shore)?
2 - Should it be common practice to run an equipment ground with the 2 hots and one neutral for a 120/240V service to the boat house run in PVC conduit?
Any info on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

mikeackley

Re: residential boat house groung rod

Puzzler:
Is this boat house a fixed stationary structure (on pilings), or is it floating?

Have you reveiwed Article 555, Marinas and Boatyards?

[Edit] P.S. By any chance is this a sub-panel set-up at the boat house?

[ April 12, 2003, 10:51 PM: Message edited by: mikeackley ]

hurk27

The service equipment should be located on shore.
this service equipment should have a disconnect and is grounded to ground rods located at the disconnect. Then from this disconnect there should be two hots one neutral and one ground conductor to the sub panel located in the boathouse.
There is allot more requirements to the installations of electrical equipment in and around water that needs to be adhered to.
you need to read the NEC article 555 real good and understand it, as the dangers of electrocution are very real and can be a high risk liability to a electrician. the another thing is the sealing of the connections and box's from moisture and corrosion to make a system last is something to know too.
Also the problems with electrolysis (galvantic-corrosion) to metal boats is something to consider too, when supplying power to on-board electrical in boats

[ April 13, 2003, 12:05 AM: Message edited by: hurk27 ]

puzzler

The residential boat house is built on driven pier's 30 feet from shore. There is stationary walkway that connects the shore to the boat house.This is a very common residential boat house on the lakes in East Texas.
Scope 555.1 of the nec if you read closely says"Private, noncommercial docking facilities constructed or occupied for the use of the owner or residents of the associated single-family dwellings are not covered by this article".
Is there any further references please?

hurk27

Puzzler
I missunderstood the discription of a boat house as I thought you ment a house that houses a boat like a dry dock.

but as for a pier house dont even think 553 would cover this type of instalation as it is for floating type buildings. but as for it being out in the water I still think it would require the service equipment to be located on the shore with the disconect and the panel located in the house would be a sub panel. as far as grounding goes I would install the ground rods at the service location. and a 2'x 2' copper plate in the water with a gec ran back to the service location would give you a second ge for better lightning protection. Is this located over fresh water or salt water?

hurk27

After rereading 555 it does seem to say that it only does not include the docking facilities for the use of the owner or residents of the associated single-family dwelling. this seems to mean that it means a dock where you would tie a boat up not a dwelling on a pier. so I think that 2002 NEC artical 555 would apply here.
The key word here is "associated"

Private, noncommercial docking facilities constructed or occupied for the use of the owner or residents of the associated single-family dwelling are not covered by this article.

So by this I would follow 555 and ask the local AHJ for his input

puzzler

How would you guys run a service to a residential boat house on fresh water given the circuit for the boat house originates in the service panel in the residential house and is supplied off a 60 amp double pole breaker for example?
Would you put a disconnect on the shore line, then a sub panel on the boat house(the boat house is set on driven piers and the the boats are lifted out of the water on boat winches - 18 feet bass boats).
If anyone that has experience with residential boat house wiring please reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.