Requirement for minimum 100 amp service Dwelling

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking at the code and was trying to remember where the requirement for a panel in a dwelling unit was 100 amp minimum. A friend of mine says he has a duplex and that they were looking just to change out the panels in the units, and they will put in a 60amp main breaker for each units panel. I do not believe they can do that, as a 60 would be too small.

Am I correct in this?

JGinIndy

Occupation
Retired Electrician currently County Inspector
230.79 One Family Dwelling 100 amp. So each of a Two Family could have 60 amp

230.79 One Family Dwelling 100 amp. So each of a Two Family could have 60 amp
The way his units are set up is that the service drop will be tapped (before the serperate meters in the same enclosure) by the 2 units and from there to their panels. Wouldnt that make the first disconnecting means for the individual unit the service disconnect for that individual (one family) unit thus requiring the 100 amp?

If he had a different set up where the service drop conncted to the seperate breakers then from there to a main breaker in the panels then they can use the 60 amp?

That is how I read that article you gave.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
From Article 100: "Dwelling, One-Family. A building that consists solely of one dwelling unit." So it goes by whether the two dwellings are separate buildings or not. How the service conductors are run is not determinative.

Cheers, Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.