Required receptacles

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
What is the area where this banister is? If it is a 10' long or longer hallway, isn't that an out, as a hallway doesn't follow the 6/12 rule.
The hallway still requires receptacles.
Yes it does, but as mentioned doesn't need to follow the 6/12 rule. neither does a foyer. But if there is sufficient enough amount of railing that a receptacle would still be required you probably using a floor outlet or some the other not so desired options brought up in this thread. To have this problem with a hallway you about need to have railing on both sides of said hallway for it's entire length though.

kwired

Electron manager
Maybe a catwalk 🤔
Would be a pretty rare thing I would think in dwellings, but someone will think of a reason here or there to have something like that.

Maybe more likely to have an enclosed overpass of some sort that is all windows with no easy place to put a receptacle?

480sparky

I have seen 'catwalks' in homes. More like a 'bridge'.

traditional-hall.jpg

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I have, too. And that should be counted separately from any loft area on either end. Not real practical to require a receptacle there, but technically.....
What code wording do you think may require a receptacle there? The closest thing I can see in 210.52 is a hallway but IMO that is not a hallway.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
There are these that install in a threaded coupling. ;)

1606665733969.png

Roger

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
You could stub up two RMC elbows and use a threaded hub box which wouldn't require support but for the rest of us a floor box is the only option.
I’m going to play stupid Sam here a minute..
How would you trim this out to look acceptable?
I’m kinda like the others and thought floor box was the only option.

kwired

Electron manager
I have seen 'catwalks' in homes. More like a 'bridge'.

traditional-hall.jpg
I don't believe you would consider the larger area at the far end to be a space that needs to utilize the 6-12 spacing rules either, it is more "hallway".
If that is so no reason a receptacle on the conventional "wall(s)" cans serve as the required receptacle for this "hallway".

Worst case where the centerline changes, you may need to consider to be separate hallways?

480sparky

I don't believe you would consider the larger area at the far end to be a space that needs to utilize the 6-12 spacing rules either, it is more "hallway".
If that is so no reason a receptacle on the conventional "wall(s)" cans serve as the required receptacle for this "hallway".

Worst case where the centerline changes, you may need to consider to be separate hallways?

Again, it's not what I think, what I consider, what I call it.

It's what the AHJ think, considers, and calls it.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
If this is still in the design stage, you could have the banister maker change to having a tall bottom fascia that you can then use as a chase fir the wiring and put receptacles in with trim to match the wood.
B5EE9FC8-C900-442B-BDD0-C69FAB63D4CF.jpeg

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
I’m going to play stupid Sam here a minute..
How would you trim this out to look acceptable?
I’m kinda like the others and thought floor box was the only option.

If the receptacle is positioned between the balustiers, the freestanding rmc solution might look fine, especially if they are iron balustiers.

A short drywall 'monolith' under the banister might also look fine.

But if the banister is already in and this receptacle is being added as a correction then the floor receptacle is likely the simplest solution.

A banister is being considered a wall, but it is a porous wall. I wonder what the AHJ would say about a receptacle on the top of the wall just below the banister. A cord could easily reach and be plugged in....

Jon

rnatalie

Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I have exactly that situation and put in these Racro floor outlet. The trim flange is big enough that it's not an issue for the flooring guys to work around.

I like them because you can plug into them and close the lid leaving the cord emerging from a slot in the lid.

Status
Not open for further replies.