Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
1) most 'maintenance' is permit free
2)yes but, what 'fits' the situation is relevant>
View attachment 2556314
3) actually it''s your insurance company that may make that call

~RJ~
Is replacing a luminaire maintenance though? Have had to argue with an inspector on this one more recently. Changed a yoke mounted pole light HID was replaced with another yoke mount LED. Still not resolved, but if I am going to submit permit and inspection fee he is going to climb ladder, just like I did, and actually inspect it.:censored:

I guess yoke wrong term, this was a stem but not a mere 1/2 or 3/4 stem but the large 1-1/4 or 1/1/2 stem that is common on larger pole mounts.

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
Is replacing a luminaire maintenance though?
I guess it depends on individual state interpretation kwired.
In merry old Vermont, directly replacing almost anything is exempt
Ergo, we've more 'maintenance companies' than most

~RJ~

kwired

Electron manager
I guess it depends on individual state interpretation kwired.
In merry old Vermont, directly replacing almost anything is exempt
Ergo, we've more 'maintenance companies' than most

~RJ~
I think in this case it is more the individual inspector. This guy is a PITA often on some the most ridiculous things. And I hear similar stories from others so it isn't just me.

kwired

Electron manager
I could soooOOooo carry on for a good few pages on that note kwired
:cool:
~RJ~
He is only inspector for me that ever said "because I said so" after no being able to find code section to back up what he was wanting me to do. This in first year after he hired for his position, I have had no respect for this individual since and cringe anytime I need to make an appointment with him.

I generally looked forward to some extent to seeing some the previous inspectors, we at least could have decent and sometimes useful conversation pertaining to codes and such.

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
He is only inspector for me that ever said "because I said so" after no being able to find code section to back up what he was wanting me to do. This in first year after he hired for his position, I have had no respect for this individual since and cringe anytime I need to make an appointment with him.

I generally looked forward to some extent to seeing some the previous inspectors, we at least could have decent and sometimes useful conversation pertaining to codes and such.

Meanwhile , the larger % of installs being done w/out permits, because they don't require one is really equivalent to being penalized for having a license kwired.

~RJ~

kwired

Electron manager
Meanwhile , the larger % of installs being done w/out permits, because they don't require one is really equivalent to being penalized for having a license kwired.

~RJ~
I agree to some extent.

I kind of don't like the fact we must prove a certain amount of experience, then pass an exam to get a license - then take certain amount of "approved" continuing education to be able to renew that license, but at same time with all this training "big brother" doesn't trust us and wants to see everything we do. And on top of that make it somewhat a game when it comes to interpretation of some the code rules, or adding rules that aren't even in the code.

Picking on use of a NM staple that is listed for stacking say three 12-2 or 14-2 NM cables but you decided some other combination fits under this without compromising the cables. They claim not used within the listing, ok it is not, but nothing says that staple must be listed in the first place. I could go with an unlisted all metal staple with no plastic coatings and put same combination of cables under it and there is no listing violation, yet is much easier to "overdrive" the staple and damage a cable. Guy needs to pull his head out of a place I won't mention here.

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
I agree to some extent.

I kind of don't like the fact we must prove a certain amount of experience, then pass an exam to get a license - then take certain amount of "approved" continuing education to be able to renew that license, but at same time with all this training "big brother" doesn't trust us and wants to see everything we do. And on top of that make it somewhat a game when it comes to interpretation of some the code rules, or adding rules that aren't even in the code.

Picking on use of a NM staple that is listed for stacking say three 12-2 or 14-2 NM cables but you decided some other combination fits under this without compromising the cables. They claim not used within the listing, ok it is not, but nothing says that staple must be listed in the first place. I could go with an unlisted all metal staple with no plastic coatings and put same combination of cables under it and there is no listing violation, yet is much easier to "overdrive" the staple and damage a cable. Guy needs to pull his head out of a place I won't mention here.
Wanting regulatory bureaucracy's focus to come down like a ton of bricks on a small faction of the 'trades' , while blatantly ignoring the damage done to those 'inapplicable' is my point kwired

We are living a dualopoly , fueled by the very myopic doctrine we so very few subscribe to, yet are expected to uphold

fwiw, i've made this point in IAEI meets

all for naught.....

~RJ~

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Were waiting here suspense to see how it went! Was there knob and tube? What kinda box did they use? Does the light work as expected?
I put before and after photos in post 16 of this thread: Electrician needed for small (small!) job north of Seattle | Mike Holt's Forum
The wire was Romex. I had bought a white plastic box, just in case one was needed. That turned out to be a good thing, as the only box the electrician had in his truck was grey, and the house's siding is white. The light works just exactly as I could have wished. It illuminates most of the back yard, but is angled so as not to send light across the fence into the neighbor's yard.

Status
Not open for further replies.