Replacing a UPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

JdoubleU

This is a 75KVA 3 phase UPS that we are replacing. Would anyone be able to send me a Mike Holt picture of a basic up to date installation. From what I understand there needs to be a disconnect means which is on the the UPS itself in the form of a EPO button to disconnect all equipment assiociated with the room. Then it also needs to tigger a fire alarm trouble and close all dampers in the room. Anything else to add besides the basic code requirements applied to wiring methods and OCP? Thank you for any help you can do for me.

From what I understand there needs to be a disconnect means which is on the the UPS itself in the form of a EPO button to disconnect all equipment assiociated with the room. [...]

I think you're mixing the UPS installation with Art. 645 IT equipment. If all you're doing is removing one UPS and connecting another, and the field wiring doesn't change, there shouldn't be any other changes needed. (BTW, I've never seen an EPO on the UPS, only the existing controls.)

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
I think you're mixing the UPS installation with Art. 645 IT equipment. If all you're doing is removing one UPS and connecting another, and the field wiring doesn't change, there shouldn't be any other changes needed. (BTW, I've never seen an EPO on the UPS, only the existing controls.)

Read what the manufacturer requires for this unit. and install it.
The EPO contacts are in the UPS, the EPO button is usually beside the exit door.

Read what the manufacturer requires for this unit. and install it.
The EPO contacts are in the UPS, the EPO button is usually beside the exit door.

IME, EPO usually refers to the button(s), not the contact input ("Where do you put the EPO?", "By the door.").

To clarify, I've never seen an EPO button mounted on the UPS, but most UPSs to have a contact input. Does the mfg require it to be connected? Probably not. Does the NEC require one? Depends on the situation, esp whether you're doing Art 645 or not. Just having a UPS doesn't imply 645 requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.