replacing $$$$.00 light controls

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDB3

A house that I wired years ago, with 92 recess lights in it & high dollar controllers, has the controllers going out (they are no longer made & the replacements that were found cost $1,400 each. I have been replacing them with LED rated dimming switches. At one location, though, low voltage wiring was ran to have a 3-way set-up. Virtually impossible (without cutting sheetrock ) to run new 12/3 wiring.
Any suggestions for any wireless switches (there is power at one location & none at second location).
I have read reviews for different ones ( from 5 star rating to 1 star).
Thanks

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
What were the original controls? $1,400 seems excessive for a wall box control.

If you just need to add a 3 way to a basic line voltage dimmer you could use a Lutron Caseta or Maestro RF dimmer with a wireless Pico remote.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I had a system in a high rise condo that was all low voltage custom made switches that were etched to what they controlled. The installing contractor that serviced it for about 10 years went out of business, and the customer couldn't find anybody that could work on it or get parts. Since the homeowner was a big customer of ours, the boss sent me down to look at it. Figured out how it worked, and found a company that refurbished the switches. About $400 a piece 20 years ago!

JDB3

Why not stay with the low voltage? Is this just two switch locations? Or more?
Originally there were 4 locations. I replace 2 locations with LED dimmers, & 1 fan controller a year or so ago. This type is no longer made, although the present owner had found some that an individual had for the $1,400.

JDB3

I had a system in a high rise condo that was all low voltage custom made switches that were etched to what they controlled. The installing contractor that serviced it for about 10 years went out of business, and the customer couldn't find anybody that could work on it or get parts. Since the homeowner was a big customer of ours, the boss sent me down to look at it. Figured out how it worked, and found a company that refurbished the switches. About $400 a piece 20 years ago!
Wow, I wonder what the $400 would be now (much less finding someone with the knowledge to do it!

JDB3

What were the original controls? $1,400 seems excessive for a wall box control.

If you just need to add a 3 way to a basic line voltage dimmer you could use a Lutron Caseta or Maestro RF dimmer with a wireless Pico remote.
The original owner was a lighting rep. He probably got the recess & controllers at a very reduced rate or even better to be able to tell his clients about the set-up.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Originally there were 4 locations. I replace 2 locations with LED dimmers, & 1 fan controller a year or so ago. This type is no longer made, although the present owner had found some that an individual had for the $1,400.
The reason I asked, is there enough wires to change it to relay logic for switching? And put one dimmer at the location that has both the low voltage and 120.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
What exactly do you have now for controls? Can you tell me the specific brand/model?

The easiest replacement would likely be Lutron Caseta or Maestro with wireless battery operated Pico remotes for the 3-way.

Legrand is about to release a new line of controls also with battery operated wireless companion remotes. Probably October before they’re available. I’ve got a test kit on the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iustacould

Occupation
Lead Electrical Contractor
Lutron Caseta is a decent product. Control 4 is what we use for Smart home solutions but you'd have to set up a controller through composer software and put it on the wifi mesh.

Status
Not open for further replies.