Reinstalling Feeders

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a project where an existing generator has been removed and we are removing a 1600A 480V ATS switch. My question is that we need to re-route the (4) sets of parallel feeders from underground at the removed ATS to now overhead to re-feed the distribution board. Is there NEC requirement that states that we have to use new feeders or is it acceptable to re-use the old feeders? Our plan is inspect the old feeders before re-installing and then meggar the feeders after install. The existing conductors are copper THHN/THWN and are about 15 years old.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I have a project where an existing generator has been removed and we are removing a 1600A 480V ATS switch. My question is that we need to re-route the (4) sets of parallel feeders from underground at the removed ATS to now overhead to re-feed the distribution board. Is there NEC requirement that states that we have to use new feeders or is it acceptable to re-use the old feeders? Our plan is inspect the old feeders before re-installing and then meggar the feeders after install. The existing conductors are copper THHN/THWN and are about 15 years old.

I am not real sure what it is you are planning to do.

Are you planning to pull the wires out of UG conduits and reinstall them in some kind of above ground raceway?

Or just pull enough out of the UG conduits so you can reroute them to the new equipment?

I don't think either approach is prohibited by the code, but I would be a lot more comfortable with the latter than the former.

Status
Not open for further replies.