Refrigerator circuit for refrigerator residential dedicated? GFCI?

Status
Not open for further replies.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
don't have the actual code in front of me but its always been within 6ft of a sink or basin ..( water ) in a garage (slab) or outside normally at ground level.

The concept of concrete ( Garage ) is lets say someone is bare foot, the slab is a good return to earth for voltage, and the person touches an appliance or similar with a stray voltage present, the stray voltage could/would use the person to find its way back home through your bare feet, it doesn't take much to stop a heart beat.
so really NEC does not mention slab, but that some areas that require GFCI's are likely to have slab? so if my bedroom has unfinished concrete slab, it does not require GFCI?

kwired

Electron manager
so really NEC does not mention slab, but that some areas that require GFCI's are likely to have slab? so if my bedroom has unfinished concrete slab, it does not require GFCI?
So far no. 2020 NEC I believe now requires GFCI protection on all receptacles in basements, not just unfinished basements, so they are sort of getting even closer to anything with a slab, but as worded in 2020 it wouldn't matter if that basement bedroom had a raised wooden floor it still needs GFCI.

Years ago AHJ here allowed semi unfinished basement areas to not have GFCI as long as you did comply with the 6-12 spacing rules in 210.52.

Status
Not open for further replies.