Rectangular Wireway / Trough / Gutter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Z.

Occupation
Consultant
Is there such a thing as a listed wireway, trough, or gutter with a rectangular cross-section? I'm particularly interested in such with a 6" High X 4" Deep dimension. And before anyone gets all exercised, I am quite familiar with square wireways, troughs, and/or gutters. Thank you all for considering this question!

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Most of the manufacturers will custom make gutter. Lead times and minimum order quantities may be an issue though.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Most of the manufacturers will custom make gutter. Lead times and minimum order quantities may be an issue though.
Along with that we also used a local metal shop to make many custom wireways, top hats, and and covers.

Roger

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Does a wireway need to be "listed"?
In NC they might need to be, NC statute 66-25

§ 66-25. Acceptable listings as to safety of goods. (a) All electrical materials, devices, appliances, and equipment shall be evaluated for safety and suitability for intended use. Except as provided in subsections (b) and (c) of this section, this evaluation shall be conducted in accordance with nationally recognized standards and shall be conducted by a qualified testing laboratory. The Commissioner of Insurance, through the Engineering Division of the Department of Insurance, shall implement the procedures necessary to approve suitable national standards and to approve suitable qualified testing laboratories. The Commissioner may assign his authority to implement the procedures for specific materials, devices, appliances, or equipment to other agencies or bodies when they would be uniquely qualified to implement those procedures. In the event that the Commissioner determines that electrical materials, devices, appliances, or equipment in question cannot be adequately evaluated through the use of approved national standards or by approved qualified testing laboratories, the Engineering Division of the Department of Insurance shall specify any alternative evaluations which safety requires. The Engineering Division of the Department of Insurance shall keep in file, where practical, copies of all approved national standards and resumes of approved qualified testing laboratories.

(b) Electrical devices, appliances, or equipment used by the Division of Adult Correction and Juvenile Justice of the Department of Public Safety in institutional kitchens and manufacturing equipment used by Correction Enterprises are exempt from the evaluation requirement of subsection (a) of this section.

(c) The Department of Administration, Division of Purchase and Contract, shall not seek to enforce the provisions of subsection (a) of this section by any means, including requiring acceptance inspections or additional testing of electrical materials, devices, appliances, or equipment purchased by State departments, agencies, and institutions.

Roger

oldsparky52

In NC they might need to be, NC statute 66-25

Roger
What does this section say to you?
(c) The Department of Administration, Division of Purchase and Contract, shall not seek to enforce the provisions of subsection (a) of this section by any means, including requiring acceptance inspections or additional testing of electrical materials, devices, appliances, or equipment purchased by State departments, agencies, and institutions.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
What does this section say to you?
To me it is saying state projects are exempt, not across the board as a blanket statement. If it meant "all" it could simply be removed in its entirety.

A few years ago the requirement was challenged for industrial machinery and won, I think it was in Mecklenburg County .

Roger

Bill Z.

Occupation
Consultant
It appears that 6x4 wireways have catalogue numbers. Not sure about availability.
That would be great and probably address any "listing" issues that could arise. Unfortunately, for the life of me, I cannot find any such sizes offered by anyone. Could you please point me in the right direction? Thanks!

Bill Z.

Occupation
Consultant
I appreciate all the thoughtful responses to date! I had considered having some bent-up by a sheet metal shop, but was concerned about inspection issues.

In that regard, thank goodness I'm not in North Carolina; their applicable statute appears to make things as clear as mud!

oldsparky52

Bill Z.

Occupation
Consultant
One more thing: After carefully reviewing ALL the information on the URL you provided, I determined that the 6" X 4" X ?" wireway is the ONLY rectangular wireway they make. What a stroke of good luck! Thanks again, Old Sparky!!

Status
Not open for further replies.