Recommend better alternatives to Generac?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
This is for a family member (mom's sister), so history of good quality is more important than cost.

Looking for something in the 12 to 20 Kw range genny and ATS, with minimal to no load shedding.

What would you guys recommend over Generac for a home system (besides "almost anything!") ?

This is far enough from me that, while I might install it, it's too far for me to be the one to maintain it.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
The last three I installed were Onan/Cummins RS20AC’s. The first two were the “mushroom” enclosure, which were composite or plastic, very quiet units, then Onan changed to an aluminum enclosure, and it is not as quiet. All three come with load shed capabilities if you add a 12 vdc relay to control the loads if you desire, and internet connectability. The downfall is an Ethernet cable is required because they are not wireless. One is at the owner of the companies best friends house, the second is at the owners daughters house, and the third is at a very important customers house. It’s been about three or more years on the first two, and around a year on the last. Have not heard a single complaint from any of them. The set up is a little more of a pain than the Generac, and is around $5k including the service rated transfer switch. I put a Kohler in at the company owners house, but it is much larger (80 kw). He has an 800 amp service and transfer switch at his house. The Kohler kept losing the exercise program every time it ran, turned out Kohler had an emf issue, and installed a metal shield to correct the problem. It’s been almost a year, and I haven’t heard of any more issues. (It might be a good idea for me to swing by and check on it though,) LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.