Recessed Vs. Surface Panel Mounting

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstrlucky74

How many of you think there's much of a labor difference mounting a branch panel board recessed as opposed to surface for a new construction project? I understand surface many times has floor to ceiling strut. Thanks.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Too broad a question to answer without more detail. Labor may be equivalent, but surface-mounting should be done more neatly.

I would base the decision on the construction, not the relative labor. It's usually an easy choice when the environment is known.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
What are the mounting methods being used in each type of installation? Is the recessed being mounted to the studs?

MAC702

So are we talking about two different jobs and not two different options for the same job? Geez, getting details to answer questions here is sometimes like pulling teeth.

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
Given that Romex (R) must be supported within X" of a box (ie main panel), I've seen a lot of panels in basements with concrete walls, but the panels are mounted on a "short wall" descending from the joists above. The short wall may be anchored to the concrete wall at the bottom. The short wall is usually plywood over 2x4s. So the panel is actually surface mounted on a wooden wall. This gives a wooden area where the Romex (R) can be supported.

Who builds the short wall? I'm assuming either the electrician, or a carpenter at the electrician's request.

mstrlucky74

Then just about no difference in mounting. I would say that drilling into the wall can be less of a hassle than dealing with mounting directly to the sides of the metal studs.
What used to attach panel to studs?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.