Recessed or surface ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greentagger

Occupation
Master Electrician, Electrical Inspector
Noting lately low profiled LED down lights that appear to be recessed. They actually mount to a j box. In regards to clearances in clothes closets, should these be treated as a recessed with 6”, or a surface mount requiring 12“? Thanks.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
These rules were written for incandescent bulbs IMO. They should reconsider or add for LED. There is no filament that would be exposed so I don't think the distances should be as great for them vs incandescent.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If it mounts to a junction box that is flush with the ceiling it is not a recessed fixture.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
I don't know what they call it but the fixture is below the ceiling so it cannot be flush mounted. The ones I have seen have the driver inside the fixture also.
That's like saying a flush mounted receptacle isn't flush mounted because the yoke sits on the front of the drywall and the cover plate sits on the front of the drywall.

But we know that's not what a surface mounted receptacle is. Why should a surface mounted light be any different?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor

Well that one says it can install in a recessed can so in a recessed can it is considered recessed but not otherwise-- sounds nuts. My bet is that most authority having jurisdiction's would consider it recessed.

This section may need re-writing as the issue with recessed was that the light was inside the can. Now the light is LED and outside the can. Probably something that wasn't looked at

James L

Occupation
Electrician
Well that one says it can install in a recessed can so in a recessed can it is considered recessed but not otherwise-- sounds nuts. My bet is that most authority having jurisdiction's would consider it recessed.

This section may need re-writing as the issue with recessed was that the light was inside the can. Now the light is LED and outside the can. Probably something that wasn't looked at
I agree. I think if there's a choice between calling it recessed or surface mounted, we have to go with recessed

There are definitely configurations that run roughshod over the code the way it's written

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
The description provided by the manufacturer (?) says that it is a low profile fixture.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety

Please note that the end result is the same with respect to the profile of the lens and guts relative to the surface of the ceiling. "Inside the can" doesn't really mean inside the can. If you take a straight edge and run it across the ceiling over the fixture and hit anything other than trim, it seems to me that it is, at best, semi-flush.

mwm1752

It is a trim part just a a surface luminaire is a trim part. if you use a recess can then it is a recess trim - if you use a mounted j box then it is a surface mounted trim. I do not make the rules just follow them. If you are within 12" then insert a recess to make compliant. To complain about the obvious of same trim different clearances is a NEC issue to be resolved not the inspectors right to choose. they make a regress that look exactly the same & has its own spring mounts that do not need a box or recess can - 6" clearances due to its description

mwm1752

These rules were written for incandescent bulbs IMO. They should reconsider or add for LED. There is no filament that would be exposed so I don't think the distances should be as great for them vs incandescent.
I agree, seems like they should be in the same category as a flourscent fixture - but they are not

James L

Occupation
Electrician
If you take a straight edge and run it across the ceiling over the fixture and hit anything other than trim, it seems to me that it is, at best, semi-flush.
But if you use that same litmus test at a flush mounted toggle switch, you can hit more than the trim. And it's not semi flush

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
It is a trim part just a a surface luminaire is a trim part. if you use a recess can then it is a recess trim - if you use a mounted j box then it is a surface mounted trim. I do not make the rules just follow them. If you are within 12" then insert a recess to make compliant. To complain about the obvious of same trim different clearances is a NEC issue to be resolved not the inspectors right to choose. they make a regress that look exactly the same & has its own spring mounts that do not need a box or recess can - 6" clearances due to its description
The glowy-make-light part is not recessed. It is proud of the ceiling. I have recessed cans in my kitchen. The bulbs are clearly not below the surface of the ceiling. The white plastic piece from the link in post #12 is not a trim, it is the luminaire. What am I missing?

Status
Not open for further replies.