Recessed can light bulb / trim gap - normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericfox

Hey guys,

We are about to put up a bunch of can lights. I’ve never used them before. I installed one as a test - there’s a big gap between the bulb and trim - is this normal? It would be nice if the gap wasn’t so big. The socket is at the highest position. Any tips? Thanks - Eric

Attachments

• photo22406.jpg
    photo22406.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 2

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Yeah, that's a can/bulb/trim incompatibility issue. In no particular order:

Some cans will allow you to get the socket higher if you loosen the wingnut more.

Some bulbs come in long- and short-neck versions; so look for a short neck bulb..

An LED retro-fit kit will look perfect, spread light well, last forever, and save money.

Otherwise, good job on the install. Bulb makers can tell you of compatible dimmers.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
There is no gap and for $12.99 at homedepot you can't go wrong. That is not a bulb you are looking at but it gives the same effect. There are led's inside the trim and it is one piece

These things are awesome!
its all I recommend for closet installs.
I recently did a kitchen with them, 8 total. When we turned the switch on, WOW... I may have to go back and install a dimmer. It’s not that big a kitchen, but the HO wanted a lot of light. He suggested 8...
I think he got more than he wanted.

kwired

Electron manager
Yeah, that's a can/bulb/trim incompatibility issue. In no particular order:

Some cans will allow you to get the socket higher if you loosen the wingnut more.

Some bulbs come in long- and short-neck versions; so look for a short neck bulb..

An LED retro-fit kit will look perfect, spread light well, last forever, and save money.

Otherwise, good job on the install. Bulb makers can tell you of compatible dimmers.

Agree, looks like a long neck lamp possibly used in trim designed for short neck, especially if the socket position can not be adjusted to fit this lamp.

ericfox

Returned the BR30 bulbs/trim and went with Dennis/HvLv suggestion - got Commercial Electric brand from Home Depot. Already put in 4 and look very nice - thanks guys

Status
Not open for further replies.