Receptacles in pool equipment rooms

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSDriver

Occupation
Electrician
I'm trying to get a discussion going that has code compliant solutions and not just a solution that gets inspections signed off.

Receptacle's in pool equipment room: Since a pool room is now classified as a corrosive environment, how do I comply with using "wiring methods suitable for the environment" for cord and plug equipment. All the bell boxes (PVC or Aluminum ) are all rated for NEMA 3R, the weather proof in-use covers are also 3R. Looking at table 110.28 the only ratings that mention corrosive agents are the 3x's, 4x, and 6p(never seen 6p on anything). All plans/specs on jobs I have coming up ignore this, they now only require NEMA 12 for VFDs ( Which I don't believe complies either). Inspectors only say they want to see 4X, but if there is a bell Box with a gasket they assume it's OK.

What wiring methods are you guys using in mechanical rooms that have pool equipment?

My other options are to use cast FS and FSD Boxes. Its just going to get crazy expensive especially for some jobs. I find it hard to believe that the PVC bell boxes are only good for for 3R. I have seen them stand up in chlorine and acid storage rooms for many years without any issues as long as the hardware is stainless.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Part Time Electrician (semi retired, old) - EE retired.
2017 NEC 680.14(B) lists suitable materials for use. If the boxes and other stuff were of same materials you should be ok, no?

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
I have wired many chlorination rooms - the first in the early 80's used chlorine gas which is very corrosive. In the last ten years all our gas chlorine sites were converted to hypochlorite (IE bleach at 12.5%, twice that of household). Increasing regulations on gas chlorination has made most water and ww plants switch. Those sites I wired long and recently were all done in PVC conduit, boxes and LTNMC. They have held up well. Use WR receptacles, and may need in use covers. For hardware, fiberglass strut and NM strut clamps (B-Line has good selection), and use 316 SS if you can. Ventilation is important, suggest a fan running a low speed all the time, on a periodic basic or when some one is in the building, bump it to high speed.
Ventilation supply and exhaust openings should be one high, one low, to mix the air. I used to put C conduit bodies at walls to non corrosive rooms and seal with duct seal, but not needed now with hypo. We had one location that used chlorine tablets in in a tank to generate a chlorine solution, that process made a very corrosive atmosphere even with a vent fan running 24x7.

Status
Not open for further replies.