Receptacle under edge of boat dock for boat charger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike2006

I have a customer who is asking that I install a receptacle under the edge of his boat dock. He wants to be able to plug in the battery charger on his boat. He does not want to have a cord running across the walkway to a receptacle about 20 feet away. He wants to be able to have a short cord to a hidden receptacle under the edge of the walkway. I know it is not the ideal situation and would have to be GFI protected if legal. I know there a rules about receptacles around pools but this is the lake. I need to know if this would be a legal application or not. I would appreciate the help.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I think the second paragraph of 555.9 would prohibit this installation. The outlet would have to be at least one foot above the walkway and at least 2 feet above the highest water level.

under8ed

With the multiple electrocutions of children on lakes one recent summer, I would be hesitant to install or own a receptacle on a dock. Even with the knowledge this can be designed safe, components can fail. If the code allows simply a GFCI receptacle at the location, an added measure of safety may be obtained by protecting the conductors before the waters edge. Personally, I would be inclined to explore other options such as a shore-side box for the charger with cables run down the dock for the low voltage, or a solar trickle charger mounted at the end of the dock.

kwired

Electron manager
With the multiple electrocutions of children on lakes one recent summer, I would be hesitant to install or own a receptacle on a dock. Even with the knowledge this can be designed safe, components can fail. If the code allows simply a GFCI receptacle at the location, an added measure of safety may be obtained by protecting the conductors before the waters edge. Personally, I would be inclined to explore other options such as a shore-side box for the charger with cables run down the dock for the low voltage, or a solar trickle charger mounted at the end of the dock.
My biggest concern is not providing GFCI protection, but rather any voltage that may be present between the EGC and the water. This is not as big of a problem for people in the boat or on the dock, but if you are in the water just a couple volts on the EGC can kill you.

Status
Not open for further replies.