receptacle locations

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are the requirements, if any, for installing 120v. outlets in a residential dwelling in wall area above hydronic baseboard radiators ( commonly known as hot water baseboard radiators)?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Can't say for sure if it applies to hydronic baseboard heaters but you might look at the FPN at 210.52 and check any instructions accompanying the heater.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The restrictions on placement for outlets over baseboards applies to electric heaters only. I have yet to see it apply to the others

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
The restrictions on placement for outlets over baseboards applies to electric heaters only. I have yet to see it apply to the others
I thought that might be the case although the IN (FPN) does not specify which type of heater.
Ive never read the instructions on a hydronic heater ( HECK Ive never actually seen one) but I don't think I would want my cords draped over one.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I did a job where I installed a receptacle over a hot water baseboard heater. I said to the home owner that the inspector is going to turn it down but don't worry it is compliant. For some reason the receptacle had to go in this particular spot.

Inspector turned it down - called him- and showed him there was nothing about water baseboards that made this non compliant... He passed it reluctantly. We get baseboard in our minds and we assume it means all of them

kwired

Electron manager
I lived in a house that had hydronic baseboard heaters. Boiler temp was set at 180F. That would be max possible temp at the heaters assuming you never lost any heat between the boiler and heater. 180F is less then 90C.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I did a job where I installed a receptacle over a hot water baseboard heater. I said to the home owner that the inspector is going to turn it down but don't worry it is compliant. For some reason the receptacle had to go in this particular spot.

Inspector turned it down - called him- and showed him there was nothing about water baseboards that made this non compliant... He passed it reluctantly. We get baseboard in our minds and we assume it means all of them

Around here where hot water baseboard heat is the norm an inspector wouldn't look twice at receptacles above the baseboard.

Last edited:

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
To me that's a somewhat ignorant inspector not knowing that the baseboard couldn't get hot enough to damage anything. Around here where hot water baseboard heat is the norm an inspector wouldn't look twice at receptacles above the baseboard.

Or, like this ignorant inspector, he may have never seen one. Dennis' State borders mine and
those critters are rare in this area. Perhaps a Code change to the IN (FPN) is warranted to clarify "electric baseboard heaters" to those of us uniformed.

kwired

Electron manager
Or, like this ignorant inspector, he may have never seen one. Dennis' State borders mine and
those critters are rare in this area. Perhaps a Code change to the IN (FPN) is warranted to clarify "electric baseboard heaters" to those of us uniformed.
Sorry Gus, but I think it is fine as is, it alerts you to the fact there may be an issue and you then need to go elsewhere to verify whether that issue does apply to you. I don't know if there is, but imagine there could be electric baseboard heaters that do not reach high enough temperature for this to be a problem, but you would need to see their instructions to verify that. If a heater would happen to use true "steam" - it also may get too hot for cords to be placed over it, though that is likely to be limited to the old cast iron radiators.

Status
Not open for further replies.