Received a citation for "Electrical not to Code'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Occupation
Electrical contractor
I received a citation to appear in court for " Electrical not to Code'". Reason being was they said I have to install sch80 pvc below the meter socket on a 200A residential install. I disagreed with the AHJ because the utility line was over head coming into the residence in the back yard and the meter socket and service was protected by a fence. Which IMO it is not in an area which would be subject to damage.. any input?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I received a citation to appear in court for " Electrical not to Code'". Reason being was they said I have to install sch80 pvc below the meter socket on a 200A residential install. I disagreed with the AHJ because the utility line was over head coming into the residence in the back yard and the meter socket and service was protected by a fence. Which IMO it is not in an area which would be subject to damage.. any input?
Riding lawnmower?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
"Subject to physical damage" is a subjective term as it is really impossible to write code language that would address what that means for all installations, so only your AHJ knows what it means.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Next question:
What happens if the AHJ passes it but the HO disputes that finding on his own?

How else does it end up in court unless it fails inspection and the contractor refuses to correct it and walks away?
Which I guess may be the OP's case?

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
Court I would presume would be from the owner of the property. If the ahj is pursuing this you should be in front of a committee. Plus they should give you time to fix it, so like gold digger said you must of refused to fix?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I don't get it... Why would you have a citation to appear in court? Either fix it or not.... Never heard of someone going to court unless you already had a run in with the authority having jurisdiction. If that is the case, go to court and plead your case- take pics

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
What are the PoCo requirements in your area? Those might answer the question.
I doubt the POCO requirements are something the inspection authority has any jurisdiction over at all.

This sounds like two guys butting heads.

For $50-100 you can probably protect the sch 40 PVC with some metal. Get a sheet metal guy to come out and install some sheet metal around it. Much cheaper than court.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I doubt the POCO requirements are something the inspection authority has any jurisdiction over at all.

This sounds like two guys butting heads.

For $50-100 you can probably protect the sch 40 PVC with some metal. Get a sheet metal guy to come out and install some sheet metal around it. Much cheaper than court.
While we can't actually enforce our utility company requirements, we will not clear the service for connection if there are violations of the utility rules. We work well with our utility and pointing out the violations of the utility rules and not clearing the service for connection saves time for both the electrical contractor and the utility.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
While we can't actually enforce our utility company requirements, we will not clear the service for connection if there are violations of the utility rules. We work well with our utility and pointing out the violations of the utility rules and not clearing the service for connection saves time for both the electrical contractor and the utility.
what law authorizes this?

growler

appear in court?
I think I have the riddle figured out.

Neither the electrical inspector nor the utilities would issue a citation to appear in court.

There is a branch of local code enforcement that will issue a citation to appear in court if you don't do what they say.
Around here that local branch of government is known as "Code Enforement" and they write up everything from grass getting to high to junk on the porch. If they think that it's a safety violation to have schedule 40 PVC at grade level and they have issured a notice of correction and nothing was done the next thing would be a notice to appear in court.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Who owns the PVC below the Meterbase? You or POCO??
If it’s an overhead drop it’s not POCO stuff below the Meterbase..

Either way, you knew something..
You don’t get a court summons out of the blue without some prior knowledge.

Jon456

Get a sheet metal guy to come out and install some sheet metal around it. Much cheaper than court.
Better yet, get a piece of galvanized pipe large enough to enclose the installed Sch 40 PVC and cut a section of it down its length so you can place it over the PVC conduit. Spray some cold galvanizing compound on the cut steel. You could probably use chainlink fence post for this.

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
I think I have the riddle figured out.

Neither the electrical inspector nor the utilities would issue a citation to appear in court.

There is a branch of local code enforcement that will issue a citation to appear in court if you don't do what they say.
Around here that local branch of government is known as "Code Enforement" and they write up everything from grass getting to high to junk on the porch. If they think that it's a safety violation to have schedule 40 PVC at grade level and they have issured a notice of correction and nothing was done the next thing would be a notice to appear in court.
Methinks you're right growler, further, methinks the threat (even a baseless threat) is more powerful than the execution

~S~

Buck Parrish

You can take 12 inch black corrugated plastic pipe cut it to go over the schedule 40. Then fill it with concrete. Unfortunately I have done it, It satisfied all involved in my case.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Had a job once where the guys ran Sch 40 from below grade into a CT cabinet. Just got some brake metal and wrapped it same width as the can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.