Real life Solar Car Park Energy Generation Examples

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaneDougherty

New User
Occupation
Researcher
Hello,
I am looking for information from technicians who have worked on the electrical components of solar car parks or solar parking lots. I am from a solar car park company in Australia {delete website link} and I am looking for partners in other countries who have had success with their own solar systems.

What we are looking for in particular is the amount of electricity that was generated by the solar car park. We have a rough figure of 3kW per parking space, which seems to be a standard here in Australia. I would be very interested to find out any specifications and generation statistics from overseas solar car park projects. This is to broaden our depth of research and be able to provide detailed information to our clients. If there are any particular construction techniques that you think may have contributed positively to the build and the power generation we would be very interested in that also.

Please let me know your project, the energy generated and if possible the type of structure and racking (ie Schletter, own design etc) and any other considerations.

We are really trying to raise the profile of the solar car park or solar parking lot here in Australia and overseas as we see it as an integral part of the road to a completely renewable future. Simply put, covering and converting car park spaces to solar energy generating precincts simply makes sense. It makes sense on both a local commercial level and also an environmental level.

Thank you in advance for taking the time to reply to this thread and for taking an interest in our research.

Last edited by a moderator:

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Software to estimate solar generation is a well developed field. I don't know if PV Watts covers Australia but there's got to be something similar that does. It accounts for weather, tilt, latitude, etc. You'll need to do some basic math with the equipment you have to verify if 3kW nameplate per parking space is accurate. You plug in the other particulars of your project and let the software tell you. That's how you do it. (Asking for random generation figures from installations on the other side of the world is not how you do it.)

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Second what jaggedben said. The calculation should be very straightforward as long as there is no shading of the car park from nearby buildings and the software knows the general area weather patterns.
Good software can also approximate the distribution of energy over time during each day in case there are any time related factors on utilization or tariffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.