Reading material for an apprentice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dale lee

Occupation
Electrician
I have been studying my 2017 nec for a while now and my question is now that the 2020 nec was released do I need that or can I continue studying the 2017. Would that effect going to take my journeyman’s, possible leaving me unprepared?

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
I have been studying my 2017 nec for a while now and my question is now that the 2020 nec was released do I need that or can I continue studying the 2017. Would that effect going to take my journeyman’s, possible leaving me unprepared?
Is your journeyman test on 2017code still or 2020?

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
I would contact fire Marshall’s office ( or whoever does your states testing) and ask when they will be testing on the 2020cycle . And see if that’s within the time frame of when you are wanting to test.

And if they are going to change to 2020 before you end up testing.I would myself get a 2020code book and begin familiarizing with it and research the code changes.

As far as choosing which cycle you test on I would say They choose that once they adopt the new code cycle.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Oh ok, thank you. Very helpful
I note you are in Florida. In FL there is no state issued journeyman electrician license. Many counties (such as Lee County) offer one but it is not required if you are working for a state certified EC. Still a good thing to get as it may help you down the road. Florida uses the 2014 NEC but I think they are going to the 2017 edition at the end of the year.

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
I know it’s a bit off topic... I know this is a Mike Holt forum and I love his stuff. But has anyone ever had any experience with study books written from Ray Holder?

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
I studied his test prep for journeyman, and getting some of his material for master exam prep as a Christmas gift But always have loved Mikes videos. Would like to get some of Mikes material moving forward also. Especially bonding and grounding.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Mike's materials and especially his illustrations are great, they really cut through the mumbo jumbo for guys that are hands on electricians. His videos on grounding can take you off track if you don't have a solid understanding of earth vs equipment grounding and a real firm grasp on theory and utility power systems.

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
Mike's materials and especially his illustrations are great, they really cut through the mumbo jumbo for guys that are hands on electricians. His videos on grounding can take you off track if you don't have a solid understanding of earth vs equipment grounding and a real firm grasp on theory and utility power systems.
I really like how he clears up a lot of “grounding myths”. Such as old saying people will say, electricity takes the path of least resistance. electricity wants to go to “ground”.

Dale lee

Occupation
Electrician
I note you are in Florida. In FL there is no state issued journeyman electrician license. Many counties (such as Lee County) offer one but it is not required if you are working for a state certified EC. Still a good thing to get as it may help you down the road. Florida uses the 2014 NEC but I think they are going to the 2017 edition at the end of the year.
I know it’s not required but I’m not going to work for someone else forever either. Thank you for the information

LPS

I tell people to call Mike Holt Inc, tell them what you're trying to do, and then do and buy whatever they recommend. Even if you've got to borrow the money from someone. I did this and they were extremely helpful. While I did buy all the awesome books and videos, I didn't go to Orlando and take the contractor's license test prep class like they suggested. Had to study for the exams all over again, but this time I took the class and passed it with no problem. What a dope!

Once you're done studying for your Journeyman I'd suggest his grounding and bonding course with videos. As others have said, it's very good. I take my CEU with them, and one year he did an abbreviated version of the Grounding vs Bonding course. I learned more about grounding in 8 hours than I'd learned in 30 years... It'll really take you to a higher level of understanding.

Then, if you really want to be a better technician, I'd suggest a book called "Electronics for Electricians 7th Edition" https://www.amazon.com/Electronics-Electricians-Stephen-L-Herman/dp/1305505999. You'll need an inexpensive oscilloscope that can probably be purchased off of eBay, and about $150 worth of components you can purchase off the internet. It's got a complete material list and takes you step-by-step through explaining all the components and building and troubleshooting the circuits. You won't be an electrical engineer, but you'll have a basic understanding of what's going on in the equipment we service and install. This will be particularly useful with all the power electronics coming down the road and you'll really stand out against the other electricians.

God bless...

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
I tell people to call Mike Holt Inc, tell them what you're trying to do, and then do and buy whatever they recommend. ...........

Once you're done studying for your Journeyman I'd suggest his grounding and bonding course with videos. As others have said, it's very good. I take my CEU with them, and one year he did an abbreviated version of the Grounding vs Bonding course. I learned more about grounding in 8 hours than I'd learned in 30 years... It'll really take you to a higher level of understanding.
God bless...
Whole hearted YES. I've used Mike's books and training materials, very good products. At the time had been doing electrical work for years but his explanations and examples really enhanced my understanding of why I'm doing certain mechanical aspects of the trade. I can see his Materials as really helping to take a "parts installer" to a "real electrician". (Not a dis on any other quality training material out there, but I like his clear, and real world information.) I plan on using his materials as part of "my" training of apprentices who will be working for me. (Been nearly impossible to find any young ones who want to "work" and really "learn" the trade.)

Reactions: LPS

garbo

Being the NEC averages at least 1,100 changes every code cycle I would find out when you location will be using the 2020 NEC for the test. When I took my test 50 years ago ( think edison was there ) it was a lot easier to pass the first time. In my area we have a great ex electrician/inspector that runs various classes. Somebody I know took his twice a week 9 week code class and passed on his first attempt. Good luck.

Dale lee

Occupation
Electrician
Being the NEC averages at least 1,100 changes every code cycle I would find out when you location will be using the 2020 NEC for the test. When I took my test 50 years ago ( think edison was there ) it was a lot easier to pass the first time. In my area we have a great ex electrician/inspector that runs various classes. Somebody I know took his twice a week 9 week code class and passed on his first attempt. Good luck.
Thank you sir. Any ideas on who I can contact to find out about local classes etc?

Chaz215

New User
Occupation
Electrician
You can easily look up the Changes they added to the 2020 version and still use your 2017. I know they are expensive. I grabbed the 2020 Code Handbook. Along with Holts Exam Book. Going to grab Understanding the NEC 1 & 2 next paycheck

Status
Not open for further replies.