Rate My Hack

CoolWill

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Scale is 1 = ideal textbook install, and 10 = complete hack from an Indian YouTube video.

I have a tanning bed going into a wood framed structure. 3 Phase 60 amps supplied by 240 V delta high leg service. I plan on running 4-4-4-6 aluminum SER and changing over to EMT before the disconnect. An electrician friend said it was a hack job because no one runs 3 phase circuits in SER. I asked him to explain why, and he couldn't produce any valid reasons. So I ask you kind and gentle folks here to Rate My Hack©

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Scale is 1 = ideal textbook install, and 10 = complete hack from an Indian YouTube video.

I have a tanning bed going into a wood framed structure. 3 Phase 60 amps supplied by 240 V delta high leg service. I plan on running 4-4-4-6 aluminum SER and changing over to EMT before the disconnect. An electrician friend said it was a hack job because no one runs 3 phase circuits in SER. I asked him to explain why, and he couldn't produce any valid reasons. So I ask you kind and gentle folks here to Rate My Hack©

Some people want to see conduit. I guess it does look neater If you run the conduit neatly, however as long as you can support and protect the SER then why not....

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician

Assuming you are changing to copper at the disconnect?

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
They do make some (larger) sizes of SER with 4 insulated conductors but I guess 'nobody' uses that for 3-phase.

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
They do make some (larger) sizes of SER with 4 insulated conductors but I guess 'nobody' uses that for 3-phase.

Idk some people got these shirt pocket rules