Rapid Shutdown on a system with battery backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeNorm

I understand Rapid Shutdown requirements pretty well.

What I don't know is how they apply to a home with a battery backup system where the PV remains on in an outage as a source to charge the battery.

Does there need to be a device that will shut the whole battery backup system down as well? Code references please. Thanks

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
What it boils down to is that you can no longer simply use the service disconnect as you rapid shutdown initiator. You need a dedicated PV disconnect(s) on the outside of the building. Or, you have the service disconnect and a battery shutdown switch grouped outside with proper signage.

If you're using something other than AC disconnects for rapid shutdown initiation then it doesn't change anything.

There is currently no requirement that the rapid shutdown also shutdown the batteries.

Don't have code with me, but it's 690.12 and signage is towards the end of 690.

JoeNorm

Has this always been the case and we have just been getting away with it? Or is addressing RS with battery backup new for 2020?

pv_n00b

The RSD initiation device can be one of the three things listed in 690.12(C). PV systems without ESS tend to default to using the PV system disconnect for a manual RSD initiator and loss of AC from the utility will also initiate RSD. For PV + ESS systems the third option of an RSD switch (often a red E-Stop type button) can be used.

Status
Not open for further replies.