Raceways as means of support

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcosgue

Occupation
Electrician
I've a situation in which the luminaries are supported by unistruc, one end of the unistruc is lay on the top of cooler and the other end is suspended by rod using EMT conduit as means of support. Someone say this type of installation is permitted.
I'm pretty sure is a 300.11(c) violation, but I try to understand the ambiguous concept of means of support, Can someone clarify this phrase? Is this installation correct?

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I've a situation in which the luminaries are supported by unistruc, one end of the unistruc is lay on the top of cooler and the other end is suspended by rod using EMT conduit as means of support. Someone say this type of installation is permitted.
I'm pretty sure is a 300.11(c) violation, but I try to understand the ambiguous concept of means of support, Can someone clarify this phrase? Is this installation correct?
Is the EMT also carrying the conductors for the lights, or any other load?
Also, you say "suspended by rod" is there a rod and EMT?

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
I can’t directly answer your question anyhow without researching, but I’m having problems painting the image in my head. Is the luminaire directly supported (like hanging) from the emt itself, or does the light have its own threaded down rod that is attached to the emt somehow?

Count me in as also needing more clarification. There is nothing wrong with using EMT as some sort of support, if it is not a raceway and is just a stick of metal tube. I just had this debate with an inspector where I strapped up a stick of 3/4 EMT and used it to secure some MC cables to. He said you can't use raceways as a means of support. I said it's not a race way it's just a piece of steel strapped up there, no different than using a 2 x 4 running board. He then asked if the EMT was listed as a means of support for MC. I replied it doesn't have to be. Yet another inspector who needs to actually look at what the code book says, or be fired.

marcosgue

Occupation
Electrician
Yes, the EMT is carrying some branch circuits conductors. The EMT conduit is supported by the structure hanging down and then the unistruc that support the luminaries is suspended from de EMT by another rod. I made the illustration to explain this situation, but I can't attach the illustration, can someone tell me how because when I try upload the file the system say is too large, but isn't it

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
Yes, the EMT is carrying some branch circuits conductors. The EMT conduit is supported by the structure hanging down and then the unistruc that support the luminaries is suspended from de EMT by another rod. I made the illustration to explain this situation, but I can't attach the illustration, can someone tell me how because when I try upload the file the system say is too large, but isn't it
You should have some options when uploading to reduce size. Ex. Small,medium,large and actual size. Sometimes I have to reduce size.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Since the EMT has conductors in it you now have a raceway and not just a piece of steel, it can not be used as a support. I would also question the strut just resting on top of a cooler.

Roger

marcosgue

Occupation
Electrician
Yes, one end of the strut is rest on top of cooler by screw and the other end of the strut is suspended using a piece of allthread from the EMT hanging down

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Yes, one end of the strut is rest on top of cooler by screw and the other end of the strut is suspended using a piece of allthread from the EMT hanging down
That "all thread" needs to be mounted to something besides a raceway. As far as the strut mounted to the cooler, I would say that is just a bad design choice and nothing against code.

marcosgue

Occupation
Electrician
Question. If no conductors inside is just a piece of steel and not a raceway, ok, but which would be the example that a raceway qualify as a mean of support like the statement in 300.11(c)?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Question. If no conductors inside is just a piece of steel and not a raceway, ok, but which would be the example that a raceway qualify as a mean of support like the statement in 300.11(c)?
300.11 is not the best article section, see 358.12(5).

Roger

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
The manufacturer or equipment using it would have to have some specific wording allowing it.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.