Quick switch (door sensor) with exposed wire up to trunk line

Status
Not open for further replies.
Occupation
Low voltage technician
We use a 25 pair as a trunk line that runs through the purlin of the building the whole length. The door sensors screw onto the rail of each of the roll-up unit doors,(4' from floor) the switch has a 22/2 lead that extends up to the 25 pair in the purlin and connects.

We secure the 22/2 lead with holy ties all the way up and make sure it is routed in a way that protects it from physical damage.

I've recently been told that any wire below 8' needs to be in conduit, but I have yet to find any code (art. 800) that states this.

I assume the code is for any voltage carrying wire and not for a simple dry contact wire.

Any input is appreciated so I can prove my boss wrong!!:lol:

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Holy ties? Aren't those only for use in churches? :lol:

As to your question, the Code doesn't address this issue, it's a design decision. If it were me (and I have done exactly what you are talking about) I would sleeve it down from the top in 1/2" EMT to protect it from damage. So while your boss may be wrong about it being a Code issue, he is certainly correct from a workmanship standpoint.

-Hal

GrayHair

Sounds like you're working with an alarm system, which usually falls under Article 725, and there are no such requirements there. We used contacts with armored cable into a handi-box and then conduit; just to protect the cable. It's amazing the stuff they'll hang on your cable.

Occupation
Low voltage technician
Armored lead quick switches

Armored lead quick switches

I search online with little to no luck,

I'm wondering if anyone know of a distributor the has this style of quick switch with a armored lead.

quick switch.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.