Quick & Easy Reference Need

Status
Not open for further replies.

yort

New User
Occupation
DYI- house builder
Hello, name is Troy (yort backwards) located in Spokane, WA (Eastern side of state).
I am a brand new referred member from a electrician as of 9am this morning. I am not a builder or contractor- basically a professionals nightmare.

I had a pole barn built and want to do as much of the electrical as possible on the inside. My problem and question is how do I find or is there such a thing; "electrical for dummies" that uses the updated codes? I call our inspector for a basic question of which he would pass in an inspection because everyone has different answers tot he same question and always end in .....call your inspector and ask him what he wants, which I have done 2x. The inspector doesn't seem to happy asking him a question on what he wants because its a liability.
So, in short; is there a reference book or site that I can look at for current codes on i.e.:
  • Conduit: how many bends allowed, how far apart for hangers, metal vs PVC approved applications, can you strip romex and put the individual strands through conduit to hook up, etc
  • How many 20 amp outlets to a 20amp breaker?
  • How hi or low can you place a outlet or switch?
  • What is the basic needs to pas inspection; 6 outlets, two lights and 1 switch (example)?

I have pulled the actual WA codes however it becomes a cluster of words I do not understand because there is no simple answer; 1+1=2.

Thank for any possible assistance'
Troy

I apologize if I put this in the wrong category and made this to long of question as a DIY dummy

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I am closing this thread in accordance with forum rules. This forum is intended for use by electricians and electrical contractors, inspectors, engineers, and vendors with their job-related duties. We are not allowed to provide how-to advice to persons who are not employed in this industry, or persons who do not perform electrical installation or maintenance as part of their jobs. The owner of this forum does not wish us to give you answers to the one or two questions you ask, and not also give you answers to the dozens of other questions you needed to ask, but were unaware that you needed to ask. I get that your present question is about reference materials. But if we were to suggest a reference book, and if you misread what that book has to say, and if someone gets injured because of your incorrect wiring based on your misinterpretation of the book, then it would inappropriately put the owner of this forum at risk. Therefore, we will not allow this thread to go any further.

Status
Not open for further replies.