Questions regarding underground water pipe and also disconnecting means

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Attached sketch shows Apartment complex Cluster #1 which is made up of building #8, 7, 6, 5, 4. Each if the building are three floors and have dwelling units. Building #7, #5 has electric room and meter stacks which feed the dwelling units.

The attached sketch shows one main underground water pipe splitting underground in street and one underground water pipe going to building #4, second going to building #5, third going to building #6, fourth going to building #7 and fifth going to building #8.

Attached sketch also show main service switchboard outside feeder FDR #1 feeding 1000A panelboard A on outside wall of the Cluster#1. The panelboard A has four feeder breaker with each feeders FDR#3,2 go underground, come up feeding Building 7 electric room meter stacks and FDR #4,#5 go underground, come up feeding Building #5 electric room meter stacks.

Attached sketch also shows Grounding electrode conductor labeled “GEC to underground water pipe “ from Panelboard A to underground water pipe in building #7.

Outside Main service switchboard has feeder breaker with feeder FDR #1 feeding the cluster #1 1000A panelboard A. Thus FDR #1 is outside feeder.

Questions:

1. Does NEC 2014 require Panelboard A need to have one GEC to Building 8 underground water pipe, second GEC to Building 6 underground water pipe, third GEC to Building 5 underground water pipe, fourth GEC to Building Building 4 underground water pipe Or I can have one GEC from Panelboard A to Building 7 underground water pipe as shown in attached sketch?

2. Panelboard A FDR#2,3,4,5 shown attached sketch when they come-up from underground go into building to meterstacks right where they enter each require disconnect or not?

3. This is residential area so I can imagine kids playing, people walking etc. panelboard A and switchboard would be locked. However Does NEC 2014 require fence around outside switchboard and fence around outside panelboard or not? If yes then which section? Is it 110.27(A)?

3bd56dbec5bd2647a377d209e59d12be.jpg

Last edited:

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Hard to follow post and drawing.

I can clarify post #1 question #1 in this post. Other two questions post #1 i can clarify next post.

Attached sketch shows top view of apartment complex labeled Cluster #1. The Cluster #1 has buildings #8,7,6,5,4. Each building is 3 floors and has dwelling units.

Building #7,5 has electric room which has meter stacks which feed all the buildings dwelling units. All the meterstacks are fed from 1000A panelboard outside wall. 1000A panelboard is fed from outside main service switchboard.

Sketch shows One main underground water pipe split and go to each of building as shown.

Right now 1000A panelboard has GEC going to Building #7 underground metal water pipe. Panelboard A has to have grounding electrode system since its fed from outside feeder from main service switchboard.

Does NEC 2014 require to have GEC from panelboard A to each of the building underground water pipe so one GEC to bldg 8 underground water pipe, second GEC to bldg 6 underground water pipe....all the way to bldg 4 underground water pipe Or if I have one GEC to building #7 to underground water pipe would be code compliant?

2dbb75f9ac5bab9fc0eef55a132fc5c5.jpg

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Hard to follow post and drawing.

I can clarify post #1 question #2,#3 in this post.

Attached sketch shows top view of apartment complex labeled Cluster #1. The Cluster #1 has buildings #8,7,6,5,4. Each building is 3 floors and has dwelling units.

Building #7,5 has electric room which has meter stacks which feed all the buildings and its dwelling units. All the meterstacks are fed from 1000A panelboard A located outside wall by FDR #2,3,4,5. FDr 2,3,4,5 go underground from Panelboard A and come up exterior wall outside and enter the electric room to meter stacks.

The 1000A panelboard A is fed from outside feeder FDR #1 from feeder breaker in outside main service switchboard. Please see attached sketch.

Questions:

2. You see in attached sketch FDR 2,3,4,5 right where they come up exterior wall and enter the electric room does code require disconnect or not?

3. This is residential and I can see kids playing, people walking. Main service switchboard and Panelboard A are outside. Does code require main swbd and Panelboard A to be enclosed by fence or not? If yes then which section? Is it 110.27(A) or some other code section?

ef2813935b77b20551be2707386a7075.jpg

Last edited:
IMO we can consider this one " structure" and ignore that legally it may be several buildings. Thus no disconnects required in each building, and you just need to hit one of the water pipes somewhere. Look at 250.104(A)(3). Note the 2014 added the word "structure" in addition to " building".

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
IMO we can consider this one " structure" and ignore that legally it may be several buildings. Thus no disconnects required in each building, and you just need to hit one of the water pipes somewhere. Look at 250.104(A)(3). Note the 2014 added the word "structure" in addition to " building".

I am just curious if these were legally several buildings then would disconnect be required?

Status
Not open for further replies.