Questions about NC test.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slaughterrt

Occupation
Photovoltaic Technician
Hey all,

I have been lurking for a while and finally signed up because I have questions.

I live in New Jersey and have over five years experience working for an electrical contractor. The end goal was to sit for the electrical license test in NJ but plans change.

My family and I are looking at relocating to North Carolina and I have some questions about the licensing down there.

In NJ, there is just one electrical licensing test that covers all scopes of work, whereas in NC there are 10 different licenses depending on the scope of work. The three that interest me primarily are the limited, intermediate and unlimited licenses.

First off, is it safe to assume that my 5 years of experience in NJ would qualify for the NC requirements?

Secondly, assuming my 5 years in NJ count, would I be able to apply immediately for the unlimited license, or do I need to start with limited and work my way up?

Finally, how has the pandemic affected the application process down there, if at all?

Thanks everyone.
Rob

PhenixFord

Occupation
Industrial Systems and Controls
Hey Rob

I don't know a lot about NC Licensing. But I do know a little bit about licensing in general.

It may be possible to use your previous experience to show proof that you have the required work experience. But you WILL be required to prove past experience. Where I live, you can prove past experience by producing a written statement on company letterhead listing service dates and work history.

As for what license to get? You may want to research to see if any of these license are reciprocal to other states. Personally, I would say "Go Big or Go Home. But, don't take on anything that your not ready for either. Just My $0.02

Slaughterrt

Occupation
Photovoltaic Technician
Thanks @Phenix for the reply.

I definitely planned on getting a letter from the owner of the electrical company I currently work for documenting my work history and the tasks/jobs I worked on during my employment. That was one of the requirements for the NJ electrical exam application, so I figured I would get my work documented whether I needed to or not for NC.

As far as the license reciprocating (if that is a word) with other states, NJ doesn’t share with any other state that I am aware of. So getting the NJ license wouldn’t benefit me in other states other than just showing I was able to get a license in another state. As far as NC, from what I read, shares with several of the south eastern states. Giving myself more living/employment options is one of the bigger reasons that I am considering moving down there. That and the cost of living/taxes/everything else is much nicer than NJ.

I do agree that going for the highest license right from the get-go would be the best course of action for potential employment, but I wanted to see if that was the right procedure or if I needed to go step by step and work my way up.

Thanks again for the response and I look forward to hearing anyone else’s opinions.

Rob

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I am pretty sure your experience in NJ will count but you will need your previous boss(es) to send info to NC ascertaining you had the hours you claim.

You can go right for the unlimited--- no need to start at limited level..

Not sure about the virus issue down here. Most of it is done thru email until the testing and I believe they can keep safe distancing now that they test all year long. It used to be that they only tested twice a year....

Contact NC Board of examiners of Electrical Contractors

Phone (919) 733-9042

Fax: (800) 691-8399

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I appreciate the info above and also the warning. I saw something about the passing rate is only like 17%. That can’t be true can it?
Absolutely...

also know PSI is the testing center that is used, and they are all closed in NC at the moment.
here is a listing of sites, you can take the NC exam from about any PSI center around the country from what I understand.
I took an Arizona Contractors exam in Richmond, so I know you don’t have to be in the state you are testing for.

Slaughterrt

Occupation
Photovoltaic Technician
Awesome. Thanks for the help.

Another question I have is regarding the “electrical contractor” vs “Electrician”. I did some research but am still a little confused. The “electrical contractor” license is what I was referring to in my original post, with the different licenses for different scopes of work. I think I have that part figured out. However, if I were to not go the electrical contractor route yet, and look to gain employment with an established electrical contracting company, what would my electrician licensing options be? From what I see, there is no NC state requirements for apprentice and journeyman electrician. However, some municipalities require testing for journeyman licenses? Is that correct?

The area in NC that I am looking at is in New Hanover County, which looks like they require journeyman electricians to meet the work experience and to take a journeyman electrician exam to be a “card carrying” journeyman.

I’m just trying to figure out if I am understanding this correctly.

Rob

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Yes the passing rate used to be 17% but not sure what it is now.

When I filled out the form for my guys they asked what capacity and how many hours they worked at those levels. There is no journeyman per se, some areas do offer the program but they are not necessary, afaik, to get a license

Status
Not open for further replies.