Question about code

Status
Not open for further replies.

GLSA

So I know I am probably overthinking this but what is and is not considered a wiring method in chapter 3 and what is and is not considered materials? I think emt is a wiring method but is the individual conductors pulled inside considered a wiring method or materials? What about j boxes, conduit bodies, or cabinets? What are they considered?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
So I know I am probably overthinking this but what is and is not considered a wiring method in chapter 3 and what is and is not considered materials? I think emt is a wiring method but is the individual conductors pulled inside considered a wiring method or materials? What about j boxes, conduit bodies, or cabinets? What are they considered?
I'd say the EMT with the wires pulled in it make up the wiring method.

The rest are wiring devices.

kwired

Electron manager
Curious. When/where is this distinction important?
When you have a transition from one method to another in some instances. Some things may be commonly looked over though if you read the details of requirements may actually be violations in some those somewhat common things you do see at times, whether the violation is direct code violation or a listing application violation.

Take direct buried conductors in the earth. Say you use PVC around them when emerging from the earth, technically that PVC is not a wiring method in that case but rather a protective sleeve.

GLSA

Curious. When/where is this distinction important?
My curiosity comes more from what Mike says in some of his videos. He talks about approved wiring methods but there is no definition
around what is a wiring method and what is material.

Status
Not open for further replies.