Question about CATV Modules

Status
Not open for further replies.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
I have a house remodel with dish-network currently. Last time I talked to a tech he said the splicing device I used was to low of quality and messing with his signal.
I think if I remember he said attest a 3mhz splice.
So I have to feed 6 rooms from a media box with two coaxial to each location I was thinking of using 2-
one for the TV signal
the other for the recording.
Any better options to keep signal strong?

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
Hard to say. Dish has different architectures. The main receiver needs to be able to send power up the coax to the dish, so any splitter needs to pass DC on that port. If you have multiple receivers with tuners, then multiple ports needs DC passing uplink ports. Usually for Dish, you need a box (joey) at each TV, and a splitter is probably sufficient for that. If the main box is a DVR, it should be able to communicate with the other joeys over one coax (called MoCA). Don't know why you need two coax cables to each location.

Next possible problem is bandwidth. This splitter says it is good to 1 GHz. Not sure that is enough anymore for Sat TV. It may need to go to 2 or 3 GHz. If you have a TV antenna (over the air, not satellite), this splitter should be fine for that.

I think the important thing is that you have a central box with coax cables to each room. Let the Dish installer use whatever type of splitter he needs to get the signals to all locations. If you're trying to distribute signals without buying a receiver box for each TV, that seems to be impossible now days for cable or sat TV. Works for internet TV, Wi-Fi TV, and over-the-air antenna signals though.

I'd also make sure you have wired ethernet to each TV location if you're running cables. I've had issues with too many Wi-Fi things too close to each other that they interfered. Hard wiring fixed it as did turning off some of the wi-fi (e.g. sat receiver, DVR player, and TV each had wi-fi in them).

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
^^THIS^^ Couldn't have said it any better and this coming from somebody who was a tech for several cable companies.

So AC/DC, what the heck is a "splicing device"? :rolleyes:

-Hal

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
You should only need a single cable to each receiver. Both dish & direct as far as I know use single wire multi switch.

I use 3ghz f-connectors at the wall and leave the coax rolled up in the media panel. I proved a bracket for the dish installer to mount their multi switch on, and run two coax cables outside next to the meter for them to set the ground block. If I know the dish will be on the opposite end, I’ll run two cables from the meter back to the side of the house where the dish will be.

At each wall location I’ll run a single coax and two Ethernet. On really large installations I’ve used composite cabling that has two coax & two Ethernet and just leave one coax in the wall behind the plate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
Thanks for clarifying that. When I was a Apprenticing, my journeyman every time we did a dish or direct set up would run two. I always assumed one was for watching and one for recoding at the same time.
GE Is designing this set up so he asked me what do We need for dish and I told him two coaxial.😅

Every location is getting an ethernet also. he is having me run 2 inch ent To all locations from the media box. Then from media box to a recessed box next to current dish location. Little over kill I think?

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Back in the early days of satellite DVR’s, two cables were required. They were dual-tuner, and each tuner required its own cable feed from the multi switch.

At one time, dish network had a setup where you would connect an SD tuner in one room off the main HD DVR, and that required two cables as well. The 2nd cable from the DVR would basically back-feed the other receiver.

I haven’t really kept up with the latest tech on that in awhile. I have Roku’s at every TV in my house with a Sling TV account. Before that I had an HTPC with dual HD capture cards for Dish VIP 211 receivers and dual ATSC tuners, and I had an Xbox at every other TV as a Windows Media Center extender. It was a sweet setup back then. Prior to that I had regular old analog cable with two NTSC dual tuner cards. Where I lived at the time I could only get 1.5 Mb DSL so there was no streaming.

egnlsn

Occupation
A/V/Security Technician
I would definitely run 2 coax to each location. A lot of people watch OTA TV in addition to their satellite service.

grich

Occupation
Broadcast Engineer
... I have Roku’s at every TV in my house with a Sling TV account...

That is what we have done. I also have a yagi in the attic for OTA (I'm 4 miles from the antenna farm, so I can get away with this, until we get a standing-seam metal roof).

Each TV viewing spot has a coax and a CAT6. We've never been interested in sat, and our local co-op telco dropped the CATV format in lieu of Skitter TV over IP viewed with Amino set-top boxes. We were tired of subsidizing ESPN and dropped that for the Sling solution, saving almost $100 a month. Internet from the telco is on glass, so bandwidth is almost never an issue.

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
Also think about the pathway to the roof dish. If its accessible for the installer than don't fret. Otherwise, you may want to run ENT or at least 2 RG-6 cables to reach the rooftop area. Most dishes support 2 coax cables (for more number of tuners), and some thing like international channels may need a separate dish with its own cable(s).

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Most Dish installers are full of crap! I added on to my house a couple of years ago. I extended one of the coaxial runs to the new location. It worked well and the picture was clear as a crystal. A few months later, I upgraded my Dish service, which only was new equipment inside, ie: new Hoppers. Joeys remained the same. When the tech came, he cut off the connectors I put on to extend it and put some that he provided. I asked why and he said mine wouldn't work. Funny they had been working fine!:mad: I only use high quality connectors since I do some cabling on houses when requested.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Most Dish installers are full of crap! I added on to my house a couple of years ago. I extended one of the coaxial runs to the new location. It worked well and the picture was clear as a crystal. A few months later, I upgraded my Dish service, which only was new equipment inside, ie: new Hoppers. Joeys remained the same. When the tech came, he cut off the connectors I put on to extend it and put some that he provided. I asked why and he said mine wouldn't work. Funny they had been working fine!:mad: I only use high quality connectors since I do some cabling on houses when requested.

A lot of those installers are required to do that and send pictures to verify. If they don’t, they risk not getting paid. If there is an issue later on with your system, and another tech comes out and finds they left your connectors in, the original installer can be back charged to pay the 2nd tech.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
When the tech came, he cut off the connectors I put on to extend it and put some that he provided.

That's the first thing most cable techs do also so don't feel bad. Matter of fact it doesn't matter if the cable tech that was there last month installed them. He'll cut them off and replace them with the exact same ones. Guess that's what they are told to do since many problems are caused by bad or improperly installed connectors so eliminating that right off can save time trying to find a bad one.

-Hal

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
That's the first thing most cable techs do also so don't feel bad. Matter of fact it doesn't matter if the cable tech that was there last month installed them. He'll cut them off and replace them with the exact same ones. Guess that's what they are told to do since many problems are caused by bad or improperly installed connectors so eliminating that right off can save time trying to find a bad one.

-Hal
(y)
These connectors are very sensitive to proper installation technique, including cable preparation. He cannot tell from inspection what is inside, so he cannot trust the connections. Of course cable techs could make mistakes too, so eventually he might even replace connectors fitted by the previous tech during the installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.