Question about 410.130(G)1 - (G3)

Dan120

Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Hello, section 410.130(G)(1) states that fluorescent luminaries that utilize double ended lamps and contain ballast that can be services must have a disconnect.
My question is, as of 410.130G(3) does this mean a regular toggle switch can serve as the disconnecting means? Also does this only relate to non-dwelling locations?
I know fluorescent lamps are facing out so it’s not as relevant anymore but I will still like to know. Thanks
2017 NEC

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Nothing in code indicates any limits to non-dwelling or dwelling so would be applicable to both. a switch insight of fixture is allowed if controlling only the one fixture and not part of a MWBC then it must also break all conductors including the grounded conductor. I know no toggle that does that.
Rather than mess with a switch just use something like this. it provides the needed "disconnect" compliant with Exception 3.

1697712483547.png 1697713011143.png

1697713931686.png

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Nothing in code indicates any limits to non-dwelling or dwelling so would be applicable to both. a switch insight of fixture is allowed if controlling only the one fixture and not part of a MWBC then it must also break all conductors including the grounded conductor. I know no toggle that does that.
Rather than mess with a switch just use something like this. it provides the needed "disconnect" compliant with Exception 3.
(1) General.
In indoor locations other than dwellings and associated accessory structures,

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Hello, section 410.130(G)(1) states that fluorescent luminaries that utilize double ended lamps and contain ballast that can be services must have a disconnect.
My question is, as of 410.130G(3) does this mean a regular toggle switch can serve as the disconnecting means? Also does this only relate to non-dwelling locations?
I know fluorescent lamps are facing out so it’s not as relevant anymore but I will still like to know. Thanks
2017 NEC
It can where the switch is within sight of the luminaries.

Dan120

Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Other than dwelling unit means = anything outside of dwelling unit/not applicable to a dwelling unit?
I understand now about the switch only permitted if not part of MWBC and within sight of the luminaries, Thanks