Question 250.64(D)(2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
I have a question attached sketch shows wire trough and two service disco. The grounding electrode system is at the wire way connected to neutral bar inside the wire way per NEC 2014 Article 250.64(D)(3)

The wire way would be locked by POCO since the wireway is ahead of meters. However, NEC 2014 Section 250.64(D)(3) allows it says can be connected in wireway. How can this be accessible enclosure? Any thoughts or anyone who has gome thru installation how would this work.

Attachments

• 20191220_154042.jpg
    20191220_154042.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
A lock on the wireway does not render it inaccessible as far as the NEC is concerned, in many areas it is common to make this connection in a meter enclosure. With that said, some clueless POCOs seem to think it does, they seem to think all the other conductors in the enclosure miraculously are perfect and never need to be accessible.

Roger

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
A lock on the wireway does not render it inaccessible as far as the NEC is concerned, in many areas it is common to make this connection in a meter enclosure. With that said, some clueless POCOs seem to think it does, they seem to think all the other conductors in the enclosure miraculously are perfect and never need to be accessible.

Roger

I apologize for my ignorance however I dont follow a lock in wireway is not inaccessible. Collegaue of my says it has to do with NEC 2014 Article 100 defintion acessible wiring methods. He says the lock around here POCO uses as attached in this post can be taken off easily or call the POCO before taking it off. I think it would be illegal to take off lock place by POCO. I just dont see how it can be accessible?

Attachments

• 20191220_182916.jpg
    20191220_182916.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 0

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I apologize for my ignorance however I dont follow a lock in wireway is not inaccessible. Collegaue of my says it has to do with NEC 2014 Article 100 defintion acessible wiring methods. He says the lock around here POCO uses as attached in this post can be taken off easily or call the POCO before taking it off. I think it would be illegal to take off lock place by POCO. I just dont see how it can be accessible?

Did you look at the art. 100 definition of accessible?

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Did you look at the art. 100 definition of accessible?

There are 3: accessible as it relates to equipment and accessible as it relates to wiring methods, accessible readily. Which one? I kinda of think it would be accessible as it relates to equipment or it can be either of 3??

Last edited:

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Your colleague is correct, listen to him/her. Think about meters in a locked room in a commercial building, they are still accessible.

Roger

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Ok so if NEC considers meter enclosure, line side trough are consider accessible even though with POCO lock practically any enclosure on line side from service point upto service disco is accessible. What would be an example of GEC that is not accessible? Why would NEC have wording GEC connection as accessible in first place?

Last edited:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I still wish Dominion Power would take the position that we can land our exterior electrodes in the meter. It's the logical place in every way.

david

Ok so if NEC considers meter enclosure, line side trough are consider accessible even though with POCO lock practically any enclosure on line side from service point upto service disco is accessible. What would be an example of GEC that is not accessible? Why would NEC have wording GEC connection as accessible in first place?

Connection to building steel grounding electrode in a stock room during rough the connection was exposed, during final buried behind 5/8 drywall or metal siding
the connection must be accessible by NEC definition

Status
Not open for further replies.