Quartz Halogen portable Lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
I have never much liked quartz halogen lights. I do like their brightness but that is their only plus, IMHO. Lamps are too easily broken, often don’t seat well & make too much heat.

jmellc

Occupation
I was trying to edit this & my 5 minute limit expired. Couldn’t even delete it.
I hope our bosses will phase out our quartz halogen portable lights with LED’s. The LED lights I am seeing also look more compact & easier to store in cabinets. We keep them stored for long periods then need them quickly for emergencies.
Any favorites you guys have seen or used?

paulengr

Really? Did your boss buy the last pallet of quartz lights from China? I haven’t seen those on any work crews in a couple years. I’m a service contractor so I see pretty much everything that everybody is using. I live in the South though so we don’t need a 150 W heater that doubles as a light source.

I have Milwaukee tools. Their lights are pricey but worth it. Get two rovers and two 6 Ah batteries and it will keep any large enclosure well lit all day. Get two rockets if you want area lighting. It’s expensive but since Quartz lights are disposable you will end up saving money after six months just on replacements. Plus no cords to mess with, receptacles to find, panic when you have to cut off the main breaker.

Mist of them are using Cree LEDs. The chip plant is in Durham, NC. No more dough for communists.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
We haven't used Quartz since CFLs came about. Even as poor as those were it was better than fighting replacement lamps and the generated heat.

We still have a customer that will not give up his 1500 watt quartz floods. He pays us to climb his bins to replace the lamps every few months. He won't climb them.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I say throw those quartz lights in the dumpster and buy an LED version (unless of course it's the middle of the winter and you have no heat on the job). We've been using an LED version for several years and they're so much better. Lamps never break, they run cool and never burn out just when you need the light. They're pretty indestructible too with no glass to break.

norcal

I put some LED retrofit lamps in place of the existing 500W halogen lamps, fixtures were decent quality & the light is good, without the heat normally produced by the 500W lamps.

jmellc

Occupation
I put some LED retrofit lamps in place of the existing 500W halogen lamps, fixtures were decent quality & the light is good, without the heat normally produced by the 500W lamps.

I haven’t seen the LED bulbs so hadn’t thought of that. I’ll look into that too.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
I've seen 20w COB t3, which is about 200 watt equivalent. Did you find something larger than that?

I'd think 40w minimum to be 500w equivalent
That would be impressive

mikeames

Occupation
Teacher - Master Electrician - 2017 NEC
We haven't used Quartz since CFLs came about. Even as poor as those were it was better than fighting replacement lamps and the generated heat.

We still have a customer that will not give up his 1500 watt quartz floods. He pays us to climb his bins to replace the lamps every few months. He won't climb them.
I have 2 (240v 1500w) quartz halogen fixtures that I used in college to light our horse shoe pits. They did such an awesome job. I kept them and love their performance, but not sure I will put them up again. The light quality is superb. LED light (of some) is very weird. I guess its so mono spectrum that it looks weird but at a fraction of the cost to run I am ok with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.