QS1 / YC600 microinverter grounding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rezer

New User
I'm looking at installing a system using APSystems QS1 microinverters (4 module version of the YC600), and had initially planned on running a separate EGC conductor as I assumed the conductors in the cabling were live, live, and neutral. However, upon reading the installation manual it appears the third conductor is actually a ground. The installation manual states the following:

Step 4 - Ground the system
a.There already has earth wire inside the AC cable, thus the grounding work could be done directly by it.
b. For those areas that have special requirements, the external grounding work could be done by grounding brackets.

If I'm reading this correctly, all I'd need to do to provide an EGC to the racking and panels is to wire up the microinverters, and bond the microinverters to the railing, with no separate ground wire run from the service panel. Is this correct?

This also leads me to another question, which is if the wire which I had expected to be neutral is in fact a ground wire, how is split phase power provided? I don't believe any reading of the NEC allows a ground wire to be used in lieu of a neutral line, so I must be missing something here.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum Rules.

This site is designed for:
  • Contractors
  • Electricians
  • Engineers
  • Inspectors
  • Instructors
  • Other electrically related individuals

* This NEC Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.
If you feel this action to be in error, feel free to contact me via PM to explain.

A reminder to all members, if you see a questionable post, feel free to report it by clicking the “Flag” icon at the bottom right corner of the post.

Status
Not open for further replies.